Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/13 05:29:34 UTC

kafka site facelift

Hey guys,

Sriram and I took another pass at the site and documentation:
  http://kafka.apache.org

This includes the following changes:
1. New logo!
2. Get rid of blue header
3. New font (Google webfont, Source Sans Pro)
4. Update the information on the design section to cover 0.8.
5. Move to a single giant page for documentation. The idea here is to
gather together all the information into a kind of pseudo manual. This
helps trim down the side nav and is hopefully better.
6. Primary documentation now links to 0.8 with a link back to the older
docs for those who want it.
7. intro and use case link now link into the uber-documentation page. This
is a little weird, not sure what to do about it.

There is is still a fair amount left to do:
1. Implementation section needs to be updated for 0.8
2. Tools section should ideally cover the full set of tools

Let me know if you see anything broken.

Sriram I took another editing pass after your changes. Neha and Jun it
would be great if you could review at least the replication section Sriram
and I added to see if there is anything you would change.

-Jay

Re: kafka site facelift

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
Also, for those writing docs, here is how it works. As before there is a
directory for each release (07, 08,...) and in these the massive
uber-documentation page is broken down by sections which are all included
like chapters into the final docs page.

The numbering of sections and table of contents is still by hand which is a
little awkward. It might be good to shift this stuff over to jekyll at some
point.

There is also a top-level documentation link which is meant to point to the
documentation for the latest release (
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html) whatever that may be in the
future. I noticed we were breaking peoples links a lot as we shifted the
site around.

-Jay