Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Saifi Khan <sa...@tensorx.io> on 2016/08/21 11:30:32 UTC

Nightly builds

Hi:

The Apache OpenOffice nightly build packages have .tar.gz extension when in fact they are .tar

Please see
https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/index.html#linux64

or more specifically
https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/linux64/Apache_OpenOffice_4.2.0_Linux_x86-64_install-arc_en-US_2016-08-09_04:31:06_1755554.tar.gz

A compressed .tar.gz reduced the download size considerably for the users who'd like to try out the nightly build. Perhaps, somebody can fix that ?

The last nightly build available for download is annotated is 2016-08-09. However, today's build should be annotated as 2016-08-20.

Is the page at https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/index.html auto-generated along with the nightly build ?

Any pointers or suggestions ?

warm regards
Saifi.

Re: Nightly builds

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Saifi Khan wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2016, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> It wouldn't anyway. The tar, in turn, contains already compressed data
>> (.deb and .rpm are compressed). So gzipping is just to obey
>> conventions - but we do it anyway.
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/linux64/Apache_OpenOffice_4.2.0_Linux_x86-64_install-arc_en-US_2016-08-09_04:31:06_1755554.tar.gz
> There are *no* .deb or .rpm files in the archive.

Correct. What I wrote refers to the release packages. The development
builds use the "archived" format and do not contain RPMs or DEBs.

Still, if you download the file above properly (like, with wget) you get
the compressed 163M file. If you see the uncompressed (390M) tar
version, then your user agent / browser is getting in the way by
uncompressing the file on the fly. The file is correctly compressed on
the server.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Nightly builds

Posted by Saifi Khan <sa...@tensorx.IO>.
On Sun, 21 Aug 2016, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Saifi Khan wrote:
>>  The Apache OpenOffice nightly build packages have .tar.gz extension when
>>  in fact they are .tar
>
> No, they are .tar.gz ; but most browsers will uncompress .tar.gz files on the
> fly and thus you'll see the already extracted .tar file.
>
>>  https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/linux64/Apache_OpenOffice_4.2.0_Linux_x86-64_install-arc_en-US_2016-08-09_04:31:06_1755554.tar.gz
>
> If you download it properly (with wget, say) you get a file with md5sum
> a655f761ddb45a0e544faf4889c2ec5c which is a compressed gzip file as expected.
>
>>  A compressed .tar.gz reduced the download size considerably for the users
>>  who'd like to try out the nightly build.
>
> It wouldn't anyway. The tar, in turn, contains already compressed data (.deb
> and .rpm are compressed). So gzipping is just to obey conventions - but we do
> it anyway.

Thanks Andrea for the reply.

The nightly build i downloaded is

https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/linux64/Apache_OpenOffice_4.2.0_Linux_x86-64_install-arc_en-US_2016-08-09_04:31:06_1755554.tar.gz

There are *no* .deb or .rpm files in the archive.

i have renamed the nightly build tar file that i downloaded
to aoo20160809043106.tar

The resultant compressed file is half the size of the original
file.

Please see below.

$ ls
aoo20160809043106.tar
$ file aoo20160809043106.tar
aoo20160809043106.tar: POSIX tar archive (GNU)
$ ls -ltr aoo20160809043106.tar
-rw-r--r-- 1 saifi saifi 395407360 Aug 21 16:52
aoo20160809043106.tar
$ gzip aoo20160809043106.tar
$ ls -l
total 159948
-rw-r--r-- 1 saifi saifi 163781320 Aug 21 16:52
aoo20160809043106.tar.gz
$

>>  The last nightly build available for download is annotated is 2016-08-09.
>>  However, today's build should be annotated as 2016-08-20.
>>  Is the page at https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/index.html
>>  auto-generated along with the nightly build ?
>
> It is. But it is updated only when a build is successful, and the build is
> currently broken. See
> https://ci.apache.org/builders/openoffice-linux64-nightly/
> We've updated some dependencies and we need software updates on the build
> machines. Builds will be "green" again once those systems receive the needed
> updates (hopefully in a few days).
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Thanks for the assistance.