Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Tgui <er...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/05 17:26:36 UTC

Thank you

I just wanted to post a quick thanks to any persons who actively contribute
in any way to POI project. I've been an on and off user since the 1.0
release and am continually amazed at the progress made.

Just another data point for (y'all), in two days I was able to rip Open
Office from our semantic processing engine and replace with POI. Throughput
went through the roof while of course distribution size fell by 200 megs. On
top of it all the cool extractors for PPT, XLS and Word documents do a more
complete job of pulling raw text than what was done with Open Office. More
keywords, better semantic results!

I hope this post wasn't too much of an annoyance. Having a few open source
projects of my own, I know what its like when people seem to post only
issues and complaints.

Good job!
-Eric Morgan-

Re: Thank you

Posted by Tgui <er...@gmail.com>.
About all I know I can say is that its a US gov't project parsing raw text
from documents in many many formats. Its not too evil in its purpose ;-)

I have used Lucene in the past back when I worked in the oil industry. Yet
another fast indexing engine for oil meta data. This was back when Lucene
was first conceived and I even had a class with Erik Hatcher as the
presenter. :-)

Thanks again, now I just have to read up on how to commit a fix to your
source I had to make to enable full text scraping of PPTs.

-Eric-

Re: Thank you

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Eric,