Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca> on 2010/06/16 01:56:00 UTC

[proposal] Use apache nexus repository for org.apache.wicket release and snapshot artifacts.

Hello,

The wicketstuff.org site seems to have gone down over the weekend.

The main item for me is that the maven repository is also missing which
is breaking the wicketstuff-core trunk build (we depend on 1.4-SNAPSHOT).

Apache has a sonatype nexus instance that is available for projects to
use.  As far as I can tell this is not being used by Apache Wicket right
now.

I propose that the current wicketstuff.org maven repository unavailable
issue be resolved by migrating the Apache Wicket artifact deployment
process from using the wicketstuff repository to the Apache  Nexus maven
repository.

This page has the registration details:
http://www.apache.org/dev/repository-faq.html

It says to create a sub issue on this one:

The creation of the issue has to be done by a project committer.

If this migration is deemed acceptable I would be able to assist since
its similar to what we did for wicketstuff-core to be deployed into the
oss.sonatype.org repository.

Here is a summary of how we deploy wicketstuff-core into a nexus repository:

We use hudson to build and deploy the artifacts into the oss nexus
repository:
1. create profile that defines the repository url for snapshots
2. create <server> section in settings.xml with the username/password to
use when deploying

e.g. in wicketstuff core we use this profile:

<profile>
			<id>oss.sonatype.org-snapshots</id>

			 <distributionManagement>
        <snapshotRepository>
            <id>sonatype-nexus-snapshots</id>
            <name>Sonatype Nexus Snapshots</name>
            <url>http://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots</url>
             <uniqueVersion>false</uniqueVersion>
        </snapshotRepository>
    </distributionManagement>
		</profile>

and then we specify a custom settings.xml file to the hudson job that
defines a server like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<settings>

         <servers>
        <!-- todo replace this with the hudson-wicketstuff user -->
        <server>
          <id>sonatype-nexus-snapshots</id>
          <username>username</username>
          <password>somepassword</password>
        </server>
      </servers>

</settings>

Then we activate the profile in the goals and options section like this:
-P oss.sonatype.org-snapshots -fae deploy

Regards,

Mike

Re: [proposal] Use apache nexus repository for org.apache.wicket release and snapshot artifacts.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Sorry, I saw the wicketstuff in the original email.  Long day, man.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
We use Artifactory at work, too! :)  But, Nexus wasn't around when I
installed it.  Artifactory works okay, I guess, but it does have its
bugs of course.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

<mi...@rivulet.ca> wrote:
> On 20/06/2010 2:12 PM, Jeremy Thomerson wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Martijn Dashorst<
>> martijn.dashorst@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> I've setup the hudson stuff, but I haven't seen an example build that
>>> deploys snapshots to nexus.
>>>
>>> Martijn
>>>

>> I just committed the pom changes from Michael.  I think all you'll need to
>> do in Hudson (for trunk) is change the build profile to use
>> "apache-nexus-deploy" instead of whatever it's currently using.  Then we
>> can
>> duplicate for 1.4.x.
>>

> You will need to modify the Goals and options text field of the Hudson Job
> to something like this:
> -Papache-nexus-deploy clean deploy
>
> I looked at build #6 of the 1.4.x branch and the maven command being
> executed is:
>
> Executing Maven:  -B -f /home/hudson/hudson-slave/workspace/Apache Wicket
> 1.4.x/wicket-1.4.x/pom.xml
> -Dmaven.repo.local=/home/hudson/hudson-slave/workspace/Apache Wicket
> 1.4.x/.repository clean install
>
> So the key changes will be to active the new profile and to run the deploy
> goal instead of install.
>
> When it is working you should see entries like this in the build log:
>
> [INFO] [deploy:deploy]
> [INFO] Retrieving previous build number from apache.snapshots.https
> [INFO] repository metadata for: 'snapshot
> org.apache.wicket:wicket-parent:1.5-SNAPSHOT' could not be found on
> repository: apache.snapshots.https, so will be created
> Uploading:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/wicket/wicket-parent/1.5-SNAPSHOT/wicket-parent-1.5-20100617.013747-1.pom
> 26K uploaded
> [INFO] -------------
>

> Regards,
>
> Mike

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.8

Re: [proposal] Use apache nexus repository for org.apache.wicket release and snapshot artifacts.

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.
Hi Jeremy,

 > On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Jeremy Thomerson wrote:
 >
 > Created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2805

The apache infrastructure ticket you registered has been fixed.  My
reading of the ticket response is that simply activating the
'apache-nexus-deploy' profile in the Hudson job will cause the snapshot
artifacts to be deployed into the apache nexus maven repository.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do,

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <jeremy@wickettraining.com

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.
Hello,

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca>.

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I believe that repository is for software published by the ASF, but I
could be wrong.