Posted to users@maven.apache.org by ahardy42 <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2018/02/01 13:48:22 UTC

Anything in pipeline to add functionality to read pom in different formats?

Hi All,

as a loyal maven user I appreciate maven for all it does and give kudos to
all the people who helped build it. Thought I'd say that before I ask my
question in case you think I'm trolling.

My main problem with maven is colleagues. I constantly hear complaints about
maven being horrible. Instead of being bothered or dis-inhibiting themselves
from seeing maven as it should be seen, they say "because it is XML".

Sometimes I think they'd rather use ant or shell script to do their builds,
or just go with gradle or ivy because someone cool mentioned them.

This leads me naturally to ask, does anyone have any plans to write a maven
pom reader that can read YAML or even JSON or any other potential non-XML
format?

Regards
Adam

--
Sent from: http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Maven-Users-f40176.html

RE: [EXTERNAL] Anything in pipeline to add functionality to read pom in different formats?

Posted by Justin Georgeson <Ju...@halliburton.com>.
Polyglot

https://github.com/takari/polyglot-maven

External Sender: Use caution with links/attachments.

Hi All,

as a loyal maven user I appreciate maven for all it does and give kudos to all the people who helped build it. Thought I'd say that before I ask my question in case you think I'm trolling.

My main problem with maven is colleagues. I constantly hear complaints about maven being horrible. Instead of being bothered or dis-inhibiting themselves from seeing maven as it should be seen, they say "because it is XML".

Sometimes I think they'd rather use ant or shell script to do their builds, or just go with gradle or ivy because someone cool mentioned them.

This leads me naturally to ask, does anyone have any plans to write a maven pom reader that can read YAML or even JSON or any other potential non-XML format?

Regards
Adam

--
Sent from: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__maven.40175.n5.nabble.com_Maven-2DUsers-2Df40176.html&d=DwICAg&c=PskvixtEUDK7wuWU-tIg6oKuGYBRbrMXk2FZvF0UfTo&r=IaG729QyGh1osYCbh8OX9axItHyepxef_hVPx52Ly1s&m=jM-l04HsToIfE-yPhEH1XJ69p3svOqXuFAZLeM8yi90&s=yu7fdEYAqVIT3XiSchebnpkJt6Dyi3Bp_VrX-9y9y2g&e=

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Re: Anything in pipeline to add functionality to read pom in different formats?

Posted by ahardy42 <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
That meets the definition of 'paradigm shift'. Comments from colleagues:
"That is so much clearer isn't it?"

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

On 01/02/18 14:48, ahardy42 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> as a loyal maven user I appreciate maven for all it does and give kudos to
> all the people who helped build it. Thought I'd say that before I ask my
> question in case you think I'm trolling.
>
> My main problem with maven is colleagues. I constantly hear complaints about
> maven being horrible. Instead of being bothered or dis-inhibiting themselves
> from seeing maven as it should be seen, they say "because it is XML".

To be honest if people only say Maven is horrible based on the usage of
XML they never understood they can use tools like Eclipse etc. nor have
they understood Maven...nor used it in the right way...I learned that
very often during my consultantancies.. They are often very astonished
that Maven is very good usually they just didn't accept the basics...

nevertheless..

> Sometimes I think they'd rather use ant or shell script to do their builds,

I see that a lot...

> or just go with gradle or ivy because someone cool mentioned them.

To be honest Gradle yes cool tool but Ivy ? (Hm..I'm not sure)..

Also I have hears stories about users going back to Maven cause you can
do mostly everything in Gradle which will be done and in the end it is
no more maintainable...in Maven that's not simple to script something
etc.. ;-)

> This leads me naturally to ask, does anyone have any plans to write a maven
> pom reader that can read YAML or even JSON or any other potential non-XML
> format?

If you like to use something different you can take a look at:

https://github.com/takari/polyglot-maven

Ruby, Yaml....

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise