Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2005/12/14 19:14:53 UTC

Standard Implementation-Vendor-Id

Someone submitted a Bugzilla request for an Implementation-Vendor-Id
value to be added to the oro jars (without explaining why they needed
it given that Implementation-Vendor is defined).  I don't think we've
ever specified a standard Implementation-Vendor-Id for Jakarta jar files.
Will the following do:
  Implementation-Vendor-Id: org.apache

Should I add that to:
  http://jakarta.apache.org/site/packageversioning-manifest.template

Or do we just not care about Implementation-Vendor-Id, in which case
I'll close the issue report as WONTFIX?

daniel

Re: Standard Implementation-Vendor-Id

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 13:14 -0500, Daniel F. Savarese wrote:
> Someone submitted a Bugzilla request for an Implementation-Vendor-Id
> value to be added to the oro jars (without explaining why they needed
> it given that Implementation-Vendor is defined).  I don't think we've
> ever specified a standard Implementation-Vendor-Id for Jakarta jar files.
> Will the following do:
>   Implementation-Vendor-Id: org.apache
>
> Should I add that to:
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/packageversioning-manifest.template
>
> Or do we just not care about Implementation-Vendor-Id, in which case
> I'll close the issue report as WONTFIX?

i've done some hunting round and it appears that now this really should
be set: implementation-vendor-id is used by later versions of the
extension mechanism and it no longer works unless it is set. see
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html.

the org.apache looks about right and it'd be great if you could update
the documentation :)

anyone else who knows more want to jump in?

- robert

Re: Standard Implementation-Vendor-Id

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/14/05, Daniel F. Savarese <df...@savarese.org> wrote:

> Someone submitted a Bugzilla request for an Implementation-Vendor-Id
> value to be added to the oro jars (without explaining why they needed
> it given that Implementation-Vendor is defined).  I don't think we've
> ever specified a standard Implementation-Vendor-Id for Jakarta jar files.
> Will the following do:
>   Implementation-Vendor-Id: org.apache
>
> Should I add that to:
>   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/packageversioning-manifest.template
>
> Or do we just not care about Implementation-Vendor-Id, in which case
> I'll close the issue report as WONTFIX?

Not sure about Implementation-Vendor-Id, but Commons components include
something like the following:

Implementation-Title: org.apache.commons.fileupload
Implementation-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
Implementation-Version: 1.1-RC1

--
Martin Cooper

daniel