Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Graeme Kidd <co...@hotmail.com> on 2011/02/18 14:42:30 UTC

Best way to handle EPS files

Hi,

I was just wondering what the best way to support EPS graphics was. At the moment I simply output to PostScript and then use Ghost4J to convert it to PDF. However I then loose internal links and PDF bookmarks.

I was going to look into ImageMagic to convert the EPS files into a more supported vector format but after reading some documentation it appears that it just rasterises the EPS and doesn’t do a proper conversion.

I am tempted to try and convert the EPS graphics into PDF using Ghost4J
and then using "PDF Image Support Plug-In for Apache FOP"
(http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/development/fop/index.html) to read the
converted PDF files. Is this my best option or does anyone else have any better ideas?

Thanks

Re: Best way to handle EPS files

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Graeme

AFAIK, GhostScript does support processing pdfmark extensions. So
converting the EPS directly to PDF using GhostScript/4J seems to be the
way to go. But even then, bookmarks and the links will get lost when the
PDF is embedded using the PDF plug-in.

You can only produce bookmarks using the fo:bookmarks element. And links
can only be produced with fo:basic-link and svg:a.

So you might want to look into converting EPS to SVG (using Inkscape).
Probably as good as it gets.

On 18.02.2011 14:42:30 Graeme Kidd wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering what the best way to support EPS graphics was. At
> the moment I simply output to PostScript and then use Ghost4J to
> convert it to PDF. However I then loose internal links and PDF bookmarks.
>
> I was going to look into ImageMagic to convert the EPS files into a
> more supported vector format but after reading some documentation it appears
> that it just rasterises the EPS and doesn’t do a proper conversion.
>
> I am tempted to try and convert the EPS graphics into PDF using Ghost4J
> and then using "PDF Image Support Plug-In for Apache FOP"
> (http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/development/fop/index.html) to read the
> converted PDF files. Is this my best option or does anyone else have any better ideas?
>
> Thanks

Jeremias Maerki