Posted to user@struts.apache.org by J <ji...@justice.com> on 2004/06/07 15:03:38 UTC

Re: [struts] Digest Number 3955

Hi

CAn anyone of you tell me the reason for the following
error.

javax.servlet.ServletException: Cannot find bean
org.apache.struts.taglib.html.BEAN in any scope
	org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:867)
	org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:800)
	org.apache.jsp.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(index_jsp.java:84)
	org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:133)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:311)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:301)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:248)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/5cFolB/TM

<rt...@mulework.com>
>       9. html:link to anchor in same fil (gettin
action
<at...@numetrics.com>
>      12. Re: the difference between struts with JSTL
> tags and struts-el tags
>            From: <va...@bellsouth.net>
>      13. RE: Reload Ressources on the fly
>            From: "Sanoj, Antony (IE10)"
> <Sa...@honeywell.com>
>      14. RE: Multiple Databases.
>            From: Thiharie Rajesh
> <Ra...@churchill.com>

> Message: 1
>    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:06:03 +0100 (BST)
>    From: nikhil walvekar <wa...@yahoo.co.in>
> Subject: Re: Struts dyanmic master detail form
>
> Hi Shoaib,
> We have done such thing,
> for client side u need to have addNew row javascript.
>
> mapping those fields to form
> what you can do is you can have arrays declared in
form
> bean,
> in your jsp
> when you write
> <logic:iterate id="someId" name="formBean"
> property="yourArray" type="classOfObjectInArray">

property="objectProperty"/>
> instead of this now here you specifiy  indexed="true"
> property="objectProperty"/>
>

> </logic:iterate>
>
> it will generate html code like (suppose you have got
> two objects in array)
>
> <input type="text" name="someId[0].objectProperty">
> <input type="text" name="someId[1].objectProperty">
>
> Now when you submit this form these fields are mapped
> to respective objects in array.
>
> This will solve your problem, now main code that you
> have to write is javascript for adding row.
>
> Now is this javascript you should increment index for
> field like this, if you add one row to above list
(from
> javascript) it should look like
> <input type="text" name="someId[0].objectProperty">
> <input type="text" name="someId[1].objectProperty">
> <input type="text" name="someId[2].objectProperty">
>
> That javascript should be able to increment this id.
> Instead of arrays you can also use arrayList but there
> are some other things that you have to do , you can
try
> this.
>
> If you need some more help you can contact me.
>
> shoaibm@vmoksha.com wrote:
>
> Dear All,
> we are trying to create a master detail form, where in
> rows can be added
> dynamically on the client side can any body please
tell
> me how to do it.
> We cant use arrays of objects of line items beacus its
> size has to be
> fixed.If we use Map we are not able to do the
> validations.Please guide .
>
> Regards
> Shoaib

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org
>
> Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online.
>
> [This message contained attachments]

> Message: 2
>    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 09:07:02 -0400
>    From: "Chaikin, Yaakov Y (US SSA)"
> <ya...@baesystems.com>
> Subject: Front Controller?
>
> Hi,
>
> Struts project is for MVC. Is there a project out
there
> that implements
> Front Controller pattern?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Yaakov Chaikin
> Software Engineer
> BAE SYSTEMS
> 301-838-6899 (ph)
> 301-838-6802 (fax)

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> Message: 3
>    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 09:08:00 -0500
>    From: Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>
> Subject: Re: Taglib: how do you call a method like
> java.util.List.size() from  the property of a tag?
>
> At 5:15 PM -0700 6/5/04, Riyad Kalla wrote:
> >I'm trying to do something like:
> ><logic:greaterThan name="userList" property="size"
> value="20">
> >    <!-- Display paging controls -->
> ></logic:greaterThan>
> >
> >but I'm obviously getting an exception on size
because
> it doesn't
> >follow JB naming conventions. How do I call this
> method? Do I NEED
> >to use EL for this?
>
> One of the unfortunate shortcomings of the Collections
> APIs is the
> lack of a bean-convention-named method to access the
> length of the
> list.
>
> If you put userList into the request before forwarding
> to the JSP,
> you could also set another request attribute with the
> size value; or
> you could put the list in a simple wrapper:
>
> public class MyListWrapper {
>
>    private List list;
>    public MyListWrapper(List list) { this.list =
list; }

http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/1.1/docs/tlddocs/fn/length.fn.html

> Of course, you could use scriptlets too.
>
> Joe
>
> --
> Joe Germuska
> Joe@Germuska.com
> http://blog.germuska.com
> "In fact, when I die, if I don't hear 'A Love
Supreme,'
> [...]
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> Message: 4
>    Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 07:49:41 -0700
>    From: Riyad Kalla <rs...@email.arizona.edu>
> Subject: Re: Taglib: how do you call a method like
> java.util.List.size() from the property of a tag?
>
> Hey Joe that length function looks like just what I
> wanted....I didn't
> want to do scriplets because of the possibility of a
> NPE if the session
> timed out and the list wasn't in the session, I want
> something that
> gracefully handles the missing item and I thought a
> custom taglib might
> be overkill.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions!
>
> Joe Germuska wrote:
>
> > At 5:15 PM -0700 6/5/04, Riyad Kalla wrote:
> >
> >> I'm trying to do something like:
> >> <logic:greaterThan name="userList" property="size"
> value="20">
> >>    <!-- Display paging controls -->
> >> </logic:greaterThan>
> >>
> >> but I'm obviously getting an exception on size
> because it doesn't
> >> follow JB naming conventions. How do I call this
> method? Do I NEED to
> >> use EL for this?
> >

> > One of the unfortunate shortcomings of the
> Collections APIs is the
> > lack of a bean-convention-named method to access the
> length of the list.
> >
> > If you put userList into the request before
> forwarding to the JSP, you
> > could also set another request attribute with the
> size value; or you
> > could put the list in a simple wrapper:
> >
> > public class MyListWrapper {
> >
> >   private List list;
> >   public MyListWrapper(List list) { this.list =
list;
> }
> >   public int getSize() { return this.list.size(); }
> >   public List getList() { return this.list; }
> > }
> >
> > If you are using JSTL 1.1, you could use the
"length"
> function.

http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl/1.1/docs/tlddocs/fn/length.fn.html

> > Of course, you could use scriptlets too.
> >
> > Joe

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> Message: 5
>    Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 07:55:00 -0700
>    From: Riyad Kalla <rs...@email.arizona.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Raw newbie] Struts/JSTL - A cople of
> urgent question (Message resources)
>
> This doesn't necessarily sound like a Struts question,
> so I'll answer it
> in the general terms:
>
> 1) Create your ResourceBundle for that properties file
> containing all
> your measurement information, then from that get the
> enumeration from
> "getKeys" then cycle over the keys getting the values,
> doing your logic
> on each value (if contains DISTANCE then blah).
>
> 2) You can call get normally here but when you get
back
> your result,
> call a string.split(",") on it to get back a 2-element
> array, one with
> "en_US" in it and the other with "USA" in it, then you
> do your logic to
> make one the display variable and one the logical
> variable in the
> system. NOTE: String.split is insanely fast, actually
> all of the regexp
> package is insanely fast, I tried benchmarking it once
> to see if I
> should implement a much simplier routine for my
parser,
> and the regexp
> package blew me away, it was almost rediculous how
fast
> it was.
>
> Johan Wasserman - BCX - Infrastructure Services wrote:
>
> >As a RAW newbie:
> >How do I buid an ArayList of properties for a menu?
> >for example;
> >I have a resource file containing:
> >DISTANCE_MILE=Mile
> >DISTANCE_KILO=Kilometre
> >DISTANCE_FEET=Feet
> >DISTANCE_METRE=Metre
> >AREA_SQ_FOOT=Sqare Foot
> >AREA_SQ_METRE=Square Metre
> >VOLUME_QUBIC_INCH=q'
> >VOLUME_QUBIC_METRE=m2
> >
> >now, I need to (from a class), get the resource
bundle
> and build an
> >araylist of (key, value) for DISTANCE* so that only
> the distance
> >parameters show up in my list.
> >
> >To do this even more trickier.... if I have something
> like:
> >LANG_EN_US=en_US, USA
> >LANG_EN_UK=en_UK, England
> >...etc
> >
> >how do I have the en_US (constant) as the value and
> USA (variable,
> >depending on language) as the display?
> >
> >get my drift?
> >
> >Thank you for a wonderrful forum (MSDN, go suck
eggs!)

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> Message: 6
>    Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 07:56:37 -0700
>    From: Riyad Kalla <rs...@email.arizona.edu>
> Subject: Re: Front Controller?
>
> Model 2 / MVC / Front Controller are all the same
> thing. In Struts the
> "Front Controller" is the "ActionServlet", it
> receives/handles/dispatches every single request that
> comes into your
> web app. You write actions that are like units of
> functionality, then
> specify in a mapping file the relationship between
URLs
> and the Action,
> then depending on where the user is going, the
> ActionServlet will call
> the appropriate Action at the appropriate time to
> handle the user's request.
>
> Chaikin, Yaakov Y (US SSA) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Struts project is for MVC. Is there a project out
> there that implements
> >Front Controller pattern?
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >Yaakov Chaikin
> >Software Engineer
> >BAE SYSTEMS
> >301-838-6899 (ph)
> >301-838-6802 (fax)

> >For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> Message: 7
>    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 10:49:35 -0500
>    From: Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>
> Subject: Re: [Raw newbie] Struts/JSTL - A cople of
> urgent question (Message  resources)
>
> It may not be a Struts question, but if you're using a
> post-1.1
> Struts build, you may find the DigestingPlugIn an easy
> way to put
> together lists for use in menus.
>
> The DigestingPlugIn simply uses Digester to process an
> XML file and
> put something in the application context; the simplest
> possible use
> case is to use one plugin for each menu you need and
> put lists of
> LabelValueBeans into application context.  (You can
get

wrote:

> >>As a RAW newbie:
> >>How do I buid an ArayList of properties for a menu?
> >>for example;
> >>I have a resource file containing:
> >>DISTANCE_MILE=Mile
> >>DISTANCE_KILO=Kilometre
> >>DISTANCE_FEET=Feet
> >>DISTANCE_METRE=Metre
> >>AREA_SQ_FOOT=Sqare Foot
> >>AREA_SQ_METRE=Square Metre
> >>VOLUME_QUBIC_INCH=q'
> >>VOLUME_QUBIC_METRE=m2
> >>
> >>now, I need to (from a class), get the resource
> bundle and build an
> >>araylist of (key, value) for DISTANCE* so that only
> the distance
> >>parameters show up in my list.
> >>
> >>To do this even more trickier.... if I have
something
> like:
> >>LANG_EN_US=en_US, USA
> >>LANG_EN_UK=en_UK, England
> >>...etc
> >>
> >>how do I have the en_US (constant) as the value and
> USA (variable,
> >>depending on language) as the display?
> >>
> >>get my drift?
> >>
> >>Thank you for a wonderrful forum (MSDN, go suck
eggs!)

> >For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org
>

> --
> Joe Germuska
> Joe@Germuska.com
> http://blog.germuska.com
> "In fact, when I die, if I don't hear 'A Love
Supreme,'
> I'll turn
> back; I'll know I'm in the wrong place."
>     - Carlos Santana

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> Message: 8
>    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:43:06 -0400
>    From: "Robert Taylor" <rt...@mulework.com>
> Subject: RE: [OT] EJB/Struts Design Question
>
> Navjot,
>
> This sounds like a good design and follows suggested
> best practices.
>
> From a pure architectural perspective, I think your
> existing solution is best.
> However if you are concerned with performance, then
you

http://java.sun.com/blueprints/patterns/FastLaneReader.html

> My .02.
>
> robert

ProductCategoryVO
> which will contain
> > values from product and category entities.
> > 4. Then return the collection of ProductCategoryVO
> my action class.
> > 5. Action class wll further pass on to JSP.
> >
> > To me, it sounds like heavy work. What's the best
way
> to handle this?
> > Any help/pointers are appreciated.
> >
> > ---------------
> > regards
> > Navjot Singh
> > Net4India Ltd.
> >
> > If there's only one answer, then this must not be a
> very interesting topic.

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> Message: 9
>    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 23:07:00 +0200 (CEST)
>    From: cn@cn-consult.dk
> Subject: html:link to anchor in same fil (gettin
action
> name in .jsp)
>
> Hi.
>
> I had a html pages, where there were links to anchors
> in the same file.
> Like this:
>
> <a id="anchor1" />
> Back to <a href="anchor1">anchor 1</a>
>
> Now I've changed the page to a .jsp page, moved it to
> WEB-INF and I'm using
> a Struts action to call it. Consequently I have had to
> change the link, and
> the best I have come up with so far is something like
> this:
>
> Back to <html:link action="action_name"
> anchor="anchor1">anchor 1</html:link>
>
> That kind of works - as long as the name of the action
> dosn't change. Using
> the same jsp page in more than one action is not
> possible with this
> sulution.
>
> Can anyone come up with a better sulution, where I
> don't have to write the
> name of the action in the .jsp page?
>
> Best regards
> Claus Nielsen

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> Message: 10
>    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:23:32 -0700 (PDT)
>    From: swarna <gi...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: file upload problem(illegal argument)
>
> Hi,
>       I am trying to do file upload using struts1.1. I
> am getting
> illegal argument type exception(stack trace attached
> below). I am struggling
> to fix this since three days. I would really
appreciate
> any kind of
> help.
>
> I am using web logic 8.1, eclipse and java for my
> development.
> I created a form with property type FormFile.
> jsp with input field <html:file property="theFile"/>
>
> and a submit button<html:submit/>. In action class I
am
> just getting
> the file with form.getTheFile() method. but the
problem
> is that when I
> hit submit button I am getting the following
exception:
> <Error> <HTTP> <BEA-101017> <[ServletContext(id=314

99063,name=cms-int-20040605,context-path=/cms-int-20040605)] Root cause
> of Servl
> etException.
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: argument type
> mismatch
>         at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>         at

> java:39)
>         at

> sorImpl.java:25)
>         at
>         at

org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.setSimpleProperty(Property
> Utils.java:1789)
>         at

org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.setNestedProperty(Property
> Utils.java:1684)
>         at

org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtils.setProperty(PropertyUtils.
> java:1713)
>         at

org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.setProperty(BeanUtils.java:101
> 9)
>         at

org.apache.commons.beanutils.BeanUtils.populate(BeanUtils.java:808)
>         at

org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.populate(RequestUtils.java:1252)
>         at

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processPopulate(RequestProc
> essor.java:821)
>         at

org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.ja
> va:254)
>         at

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:148
> 2)
>         at

org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:525)
>         at

javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:760)
>         at

>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run
> (ServletStubImpl.java:971)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubIm
> pl.java:402)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubIm
> pl.java:305)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationActio
> n.run(WebAppServletContext.java:6350)
>         at

weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(Authenticate
> dSubject.java:317)
>         at

weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:
> 118)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppSe
> rvletContext.java:3635)
>         at

weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestIm
> pl.java:2585)
>         at

weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:197)
>         at

weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:170)

> Any help would be greately appreciated.
>
> thanks

> Friends.  Fun. Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger
>
> [This message contained attachments]

> Message: 11
>    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 15:02:56 -0700
>    From: "atta-ur rehman" <at...@numetrics.com>
> Subject: Re: file upload problem(illegal argument)
>
> Hello there,
>
> Does your <html:form> tag has attribute
>
> enctype="multipart/form-data"
>
> set?
>
> HTH,
>
> ATTA

your
> classpath?
> my classpath:

.;c:\j2sdk1.4.2_01\bin;c:\j2sdk1.4.2_01\lib;d:\batik\batik-1.5\lib;d:\batik\
> xml-batik;d:\junit3.8.1\junit.jar
> >What container are you using?
> Jrun 4.0 updater 3
>
> After I switched back to use struts with JSTL  tags,
> the problem went away.
> I am thinking if there is no difference between struts
> with jstl tag and
> struts-el tags, I do not have to switch. What is the
> advantage of using
> struts-el tags over jstl tags?
> Thank you.
>
> Kathy

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> user-help@struts.apache.org

> Message: 13
>    Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 22:10:46 -0700
>    From: "Sanoj, Antony (IE10)"
> <Sa...@honeywell.com>
> Subject: RE: Reload Ressources on the fly
>

> if you use tomcat, use tomcat's manager application to
> reload your webapp.

know,

<Ra...@churchill.com>
> Subject: RE: Multiple Databases.
>
> It is best to use the application server connection
> pool.
> Do not use the Jakarta Struts connection pool.
>
> Rajesh

quite
> simple: just
> configure the server.xml), but I think I read that you
> can create multiple
> pools, which seems to be what you need. (My guess is
> you add more <Resource
> elements in your particular context in the server.xml
> and give all the db
> info in the corresponding ResourceParams.. Like I
said,
> i haven't doene this
> with multiple databases, but seems like the machinery
> is there..
>
> This article contains a link with an example and a
"How

http://www.midrangeserver.com/mpo/mpo081502-story04.html

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-how
> to.html

using
> > datasource object  and
> > in my xml file i have given the details of my
database