Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/11 01:57:51 UTC

Properties file export

guys,

is there a way for me to export all my properties file content into
another file. or if i need to backup my content is there a way for me
to somehow export this content into another file and then store it
somewhere. i hope i make sense :-)

thanks.

Re: Properties file export

Posted by Peter Dawn <pe...@gmail.com>.
sorry guys i wanna correct my statement. they will be able to re-start
tomcat manually from outside the web app. i provide a link which will
be a link to a batch file, which will perform the operation. so thats
taken care of.
the bit where i am stuck is, how to allow the user to modify the
properties file content. any ideas.

Re: Properties file export

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
Peter Dawn wrote:
There are other ways. For instance, see
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/UsingCustomResourceSource

> ok. all i want to do is, i want to provide the user to be able to
> modify the text displayed on my web page. so in order to do that they
> would need to modify the info within the properties file and re-start
> the web app. now the question is how do we do this. any ideas. and i
> want to do everything from within the web app and nothing external to
> it (to the least possible extent)

Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://andyhot.di.uoa.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer
Open Source / J2EE Consulting

Re: Properties file export

Posted by Mael Caldas <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

I think this kind of solution, the user restarting the app, is, at least, a
little weird, but if you really want to do this, I thought this:

Using tomcat as a container example:

- Make the server manager app to be accessed by the users.
- Give the permission to the user access the manager application. (For
example, if you use LDAP as your user database, configure the realm on
server.xml to use your LDAP database, and put the user on manager group. Or
another group that can use the manager application)
- Make a link on your application pointing to the restart URL of your
container manager application. Like
http://www.yourhost.com/manager/html/reload?path=/yourapp

The problem is that the user will be redirected to the container manager
restart confirmation page... you can find a way to bring him back to your
application, sending a request to the restart URL, and then redirecting to
your app, using javascript, or something like that, but this I don't know
how to do..

I can't think another solution because the container is the one who manage
the applications, deploying, restarting and so on...

[]'s

Mael

Re: Properties file export

Re: Properties file export

Posted by Josh Long <st...@gmail.com>.
Im not sure I understand the question, but is this something a bash
script might fix?

find . -iname "*properties"|while read line; do cat "$line" ;done >
allproperties.properties.bak