Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Vinay <vi...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/11 00:27:27 UTC

Can Subversion handle Projects sharing some common directories?

Hi,

I am really struggling with cvs and I have heard that subversion is
better replacement for cvs.

Let me first state my problem. I want to start development on a family
of products.
Say it contains two projects Gryffindor and Slytherin, these two
projects uses some common library like. strings handling functioins,
data structures etc. So the best approach is avoid replication of the
common libray into those two projects. So I decided on following
directory structure in repository.

Topleveldir (Repository will reside under this on system)
    Gryffindor
         include
         DaD
         Potions
         .
    Slytherin
         .
         .
    Commonlib

Now, when my team starts working, I want following things to happen.
When they do checkout i.e. say "cvs co Gryffindor", the following
directory structure must be created.

myhome(this is system home for me, I will run "cvs co" from this directory)
   Gryffindor
       include
       DaD
       Potions
       Commonlib (You see I want these library to be checkedout insid
Gryffindor)

And when I apply release tags that should get applied to Project as
well as to Commonlib.

Can you tell me is this possible with Subversion?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vinay Gadekar.

Re: Can Subversion handle Projects sharing some common directories?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 11, 2006, at 01:27, Vinay wrote:

> Let me first state my problem. I want to start development on a family
> of products.
> Say it contains two projects Gryffindor and Slytherin, these two
> projects uses some common library like. strings handling functioins,
> data structures etc. So the best approach is avoid replication of the
> common libray into those two projects. So I decided on following
> directory structure in repository.

You should read about "externals":

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s04.html

For making tags that properly preserve the state of the external at
the point in time when the tag was made, see the svncopy.pl script.