Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/11/26 23:46:42 UTC

org.apache.axis.ime.FeatureEnabled

On the IRC chat today, Glen indicated some reservations about this
interface as 1) it's not currently used,  2) Feature support is a bigger
issue than just async and 3) the way feature enablement/disablement needs
to work is an open question.

For a  ___short term___  solution, I recommend moving this and all Feature
related classes into a package called org.apache.axis.features that will
be filtered out of the main build using the same compileime mechanism I
have set up for the IME packages.  (in fact, I'm considering renaming
compileime to workinprogress in order to reuse it as a general mechanism
to signal whether or not work in progress components such as IME should be
compiled as part of the main build.  This allows us to work on the new
items within the main branch without affecting existing code or
distributions).  Anyway, over time, we'll evolve the new
org.apache.axis.features package into the proper solution while allowing
stuff like the IME to have something to work with in the short term.

Compaints? Praise? Questions?

- James Snell
     IBM Emerging Technologies
     jasnell@us.ibm.com
     (559) 587-1233 (office)
     (700) 544-9035 (t/l)
     Programming Web Services With SOAP
         O'Reilly & Associates, ISBN 0596000952

     Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
     Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your
     God will be with you whereever you go.    - Joshua 1:9

schema questions

Posted by Chris Williamson <ch...@wolfram.com>.
I have heard rumblings of new schema functionality.  What exactly is this
new functionality?  Where can I go to read about it?  I am looking to
validate a SOAPEnvelope I build up.  Is this something I can do with this
new functionality?  Is this something I can do anyway.  I got stuck trying
to do this because I could not figure out how to read the schema from within
the WSDL.  I know Xerces validates schema, but how do you validate against
schema located in a WSDL?  Is this new functionality going to replace the
symbol table functionality currently available?  What features will this
provide beyond the symbol table?  Is there going to be a better api?
SchemaUtils provides some useful methods, but seems to be incomplete.   When
a type is defined, I want to be able to access its extension if it does
extend something.  Is the symbol table the best way to access type
information defined in the schema?

Any information about the present and future of schema (especially
validation and meta-data) would be very useful.

Thanks,

Chris