Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by rg...@teamsol.com on 2002/01/03 17:12:18 UTC

Turbine Questions

I am new to Turbine, and so far I really like what I see  in some aspects.
I especially like the pluggable services architecture. The main issue that
I have is the usage of templating engines like Velocity. I don't mean to
start a debate, or snub any of the Velocity developers/users of Velocity
or any template engine. But I have got it in my head that using straight
XML/XSL to display content/data to the user is a much more simple way to
develop web applications. Is there a reason for not doing so within
Turbine? If there are legitimate reasons, I would like to know. Hope my
question makes sense.
Thanks!
Ray Grieselhuber

Re: Turbine Questions

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com>.
On 1/3/02 11:12 AM, "rgrieselhuber@teamsol.com" <rg...@teamsol.com>
wrote:

> I am new to Turbine, and so far I really like what I see  in some aspects.
> I especially like the pluggable services architecture. The main issue that
> I have is the usage of templating engines like Velocity. I don't mean to
> start a debate, or snub any of the Velocity developers/users of Velocity
> or any template engine. But I have got it in my head that using straight
> XML/XSL to display content/data to the user is a much more simple way to
> develop web applications.

Not when you're working with a sizeable team which in part consists of
developers accustomed to HTML and CSS. Using Velocity allows designers to
operate in an environment which is more comfortable to them and Velocity is
become widespread in use because of this.

Many webapp frameworks support Velocity and the support is growing. Even in
projects like Struts that were originally completely JSP have now modified
their approach to allow the use of Velocity because it is rapidly becoming
accepted as a viable alternative to JSP or XSL for that matter.

BTW: If you do like XSL than you may really like DVSL which allows you to
transform XML documents using Velocity macros. You can take a peek at DVSL
here:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-velocity-dvsl/

--

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Turbine Questions

Posted by Kurt Schrader <ks...@engin.umich.edu>.
On Thursday, January 3, 2002, at 11:12 AM, rgrieselhuber@teamsol.com
wrote:

<cut>

> But I have got it in my head that using straight
> XML/XSL to display content/data to the user is a much more simple way to
> develop web applications.

Your definition of simple must be different than mine :)

> Is there a reason for not doing so within
> Turbine? If there are legitimate reasons, I would like to know.

Making use of Velocity allows you to leverage whatever strengths you may
already have in HTML based web page design.  Plus it allows you to use
Java behind the scenes to manipulate your data before it is placed in
the template.

-Kurt