Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Massimo Manghi <mx...@apache.org> on 2016/09/08 22:58:59 UTC

rivet test suite on Apache 2.4

Hi

I'm hacking the test scripts in branches/2.3 in order to support also
Apache 2.4. This issue of having the test script stuck with Apache 2.2
has been around for long time and we just need to move forward.

There are a few outstanding incompatibilities between the test scripts
and Apache 2.4 most of them due to the even more extended modularity of
the web server code. A list with short descriptions of the issues to be
addressed

  * Apache 2.4 MPM modules are loaded at run time
  * Root privileges are relinquished by the unixd_module. Apache 2.2
    had this code built with the web server
  * authz_core_module is needed in order to have basic
    directory authorization support
  * Some of the authorization directives have changed
  * Virtual hosts configuration was improved and the rather
    obscure NameVirtualHost directive was abandoned

I will base the test suite on Apache 2.4 and I will not try to maintain
compatibility with Apache 2.2. It could be wise to have a better and
more flexible organization of the tests but we definitely lack the
resources and I don't see evidence of a compelling necessity to support
multiple version of Apache

  The modified scripts will be committed starting with the 2.3 branch.
Likewise also the test suite in trunk will be modified.

  -- Massimo