Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/05/17 06:21:52 UTC

Fwd: Lock-free HashMap

Don't know if anyone caught Cliff's preso at Java One...

Anyone want to take a look at the new HashMap?

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Kin-man Chung
> Date: May 15, 2007 11:24:38 AM PDT
> Subject: Lock-free HashMap
>
> Cliff Click talked about his lock-free HashMap at JavaOne, and
> demonstrated its superior scalability over ConcurrentHashMap.
> The source is available at
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-scale-lib
>
> We should check this out and see if it can be used in Glassfish to
> boost the spec numbers.
>
>   -Kin-man

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Fwd: Lock-free HashMap

Posted by "David Ezzio (asmtp)" <de...@bea.com>.
Hi Craig,

Another ConcurrentHashMap implementation that is available for JDK 1.4
comes from Emory University's Distributed Computing Lab.
(http://harness2.org/util/backport-util-concurrent/dist/) One of their
goals to make the source easily upgraded to java.util.concurrent once
JDK 1.4 is left behind.

Given the sneakiness of concurrency, I would be very leary of using
anything that hasn't been thoroughly vetted.

I think we can have high confidence in java.util.concurrent as well as
get a good performance boost.  Its only downside is that it is not
available for JDK 1.4.

David

Re: Fwd: Lock-free HashMap

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com> writes:

> Something that may be of interest to Derby as well...

Thanks for the link, David! It looks interesting. Derby already uses
ConcurrentHashMap in the lock manager, so it should be relatively easy
to plug in a lock-free HashMap instead, I think. I'll see if I can find
time to test it out.

What would be really interesting would be if we could rewrite more of
the globally shared HashMaps in Derby (buffer manager and transaction
table come to mind) to use ConcurrentMap and provide a mechanism to
enable users to choose which implementation to use. By default, Derby
would use ConcurrentHashMap which is part of the JDK, and with a
property the users could specify that they wanted Cliff's
implementation (or someone else's).

--
Knut Anders

Fwd: Lock-free HashMap

Posted by David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>.

Re: Lock-free HashMap

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 17, 2007, at 3:41 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> I recall Patrick was looking into replacing some of our slower Map
> plumbing recently. If he is still working on that, it would be
> interesting to see if these could be dropped in to see what the
> performance differences were.

 From the presentation I believe it really helps to have a 400+ core
machine and lotsa threads to see the performance differences, which
are then rather dramatic :-).  Also the current implementation uses
some com.sun classes (unsafe??) for CAS instructions and I got the
impression that it uses slightly more memory than ConcurrentHashMap.

Looking forward to the results :-)

thanks
david jencks

Re: Lock-free HashMap