Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Roman Tkachenko <ro...@mailgunhq.com> on 2016/01/13 00:46:08 UTC

Repair with "-pr" and vnodes

Hey guys,

The documentation for the "-pr" repair option says it repairs only the
first range returned by the partitioner. However, with vnodes a node owns a
lot of small ranges.

Does that mean that if I run rolling "nodetool repair -pr" on the cluster,
a whole bunch of ranges remain un-repaired? Am I missing/misunderstanding
something?

Thanks!

Roman

Re: Repair with "-pr" and vnodes

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Roman Tkachenko <ro...@mailgunhq.com>
wrote:

> The documentation for the "-pr" repair option says it repairs only the
> first range returned by the partitioner. However, with vnodes a node owns a
> lot of small ranges.
>
> Does that mean that if I run rolling "nodetool repair -pr" on the cluster,
> a whole bunch of ranges remain un-repaired? Am I missing/misunderstanding
> something?

The first replica returned by the partitioner, per node (or vnode) is
almost certainly what that means.

tl;dr - "I'm repairing all my nodes" is the case that "repair -pr" is for.

=Rob