Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by PR <rp...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/06 20:45:04 UTC

Subversion 1.7.1 Migration

Hello,
Thanks to some very great suggestions \ help from the nice folks on
the mailing list, I have migrated our 550 odd repositories from 1.4.6
to 1.7.1

Now I am looking for some more direction...

Here is the scenario

1/ Supporting 800 + developers mostly on rhel unix clients located at
various locations.

2/ we use the central server model and access the central repository
via vpn access.

3/ Currently all the servers (2 in cluster environment with http
access provided by the repository) clients accessing the server using
a single http protocol for access and are on 1.4.6

Now that another server is migrated to 1.7.1 and in a stand by mode
and being synced using svnsync utility with the current master server.

How do i upgrade the enterprise subversion ...

A/ should I upgrade server first to 1.7.1 and leave the clients at
1.4.6 initially and then the clients .. upgraded to 1.7.1 slowly ?

B/ or migrate the clients first to 1.7.1 slowly leaving the server at
1.4.6 and then upgrade server to 1.7.1.

we are not using the merge info functionalities ... as yet ..

As always thanks in advance for your time for reading the email and
your invaluable suggestions.

Regards,
Raj

Re: Subversion 1.7.1 Migration

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag PR,
am Sonntag, 4. Dezember 2011 um 00:53 schrieben Sie:

>       Accessing the new server from the 1.4.6 client any thing to keep
> in mind or any one has faced any issues?

If you access via http, SVNAdvertiseV2Protocol off may be of interest
if you recognize any problems with your old clients.

>       I am hoping the dev Team sees no issues accessing the server
> from 1.4.6 clients ?

The clients should be compatible, as far as I read.

>       Any reports on stability of the new 1.7.1 ..

As far as I can see the most problems where with client updates and
corrupted working copies.

> In general any other suggestions and hints or any other things that
> need to be taken care of ?

Backups. ;-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon.............030-2 1001-310
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

AG Hanover HRB 207 694 - Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

Re: Subversion 1.7.1 Migration

Posted by PR <rp...@gmail.com>.
2011/11/7 Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>:
> Guten Tag PR,
> am Sonntag, 6. November 2011 um 20:45 schrieben Sie:
>
>> A/ should I upgrade server first to 1.7.1 and leave the clients at
>> 1.4.6 initially and then the clients .. upgraded to 1.7.1 slowly ?
>
>> B/ or migrate the clients first to 1.7.1 slowly leaving the server at
>> 1.4.6 and then upgrade server to 1.7.1.
>
> In my opinion it's best to update the server first because your new
> clients can't use any new server features unless they are updated and
> seeing the problems of the upgrades of the local working copy to WC-NG
> in the last days I would suspect that with 800 developers you will
> spend more time in support for your developers, than with the server
> upgrade. In most cases the WC-NG upgrades failed due to corrupt
> working copies which needed a clean checkout. In this scenario your
> new server will clearly help because of sparse checkouts, better
> caching etc.

Thanks very much for your suggestion..
we are on the path now to migrate the server in the next 1 week. from
1.4.6 to 1.7.1.
the daily svnsync is working fine. I have done some rudimentary ascii
compares and such between checkout from 1.4.6 and 1.7.1.

Just a quick question in this connection ..

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag PR,