Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Christensen, Alan" <al...@hp.com> on 2007/07/18 20:47:45 UTC

Can't adjust characters per second

I tried using the characters/second setting in the jmeter.properties
file.  My recollection is that this only works with the commons HTTP
client.  Is that correct?

When I set cps to 10000 cps using the following statements in
jmeter.properties

httpclient.socket.http.cps=10000
httpclient.socket.https.cps=10000

then I get a null pointer exception for every http request that I make
using the HTTP Request HTTPClient sampler.
>From jmeter.log:
ERROR - jmeter.threads.JMeterThread: java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open(HttpConnection.java:72
0)
at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeWithRetry(HttpMe
thodDirector.java:386)
at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodDirector.executeMethod(HttpMetho
dDirector.java:170)
at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:3
96)
at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:3
24)
at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSampler2.sample(HTTPSampler2
.java:527)
at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSampl
erBase.java:658)
at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSampl
erBase.java:647)
at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:247)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

The HTTP Request HTTPClient works fine when the lines above are
commented out.

I am running jmeter 2.1.  Is this bug fixed in 2.3?

I also have a question about when jmeter reads the jmeter.properties
file.  I am assuming that jmeter only reads this file when it is first
started.  Is this correct?

Thanks,

Alan

Re: Can't adjust characters per second

Posted by Luca Maragnani <lu...@zeropiu.it>.
Hi,
I think the problem was related to version 2.2 and it is now fixed.

I posted the problem about SOAP sampler on the 11th of June, you can
search the archive for the subject "SOAP and slow connection".

Regards,
Luca

Posted by Alf Høgemark <al...@i100.no>.
Hi

I will try to answer your questions, but I have not used remote testing,
so I cannot guarantee that my answers are correct.

I think you will have to edit the jmeter properties file on each client
that is doing testing. I cannot see how the setting on the "Jmeter
server" machine would be "transported" to the remote hosts doing testing.

And I think that the constraint is applied per thread, because the
constraint is per http connection as far as I understand, and each
thread opens a separate http connection.

Alf

Posted by Alf Høgemark <al...@i100.no>.
Hi

Posted by Alf Høgemark <al...@i100.no>.