Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> on 2022/05/11 07:31:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] Change reply-to for mailing lists

I've been hit several times by the fact that the maven mailing lists are
configured in a weird (to me...) way.  I'm used to have the ASF mailing
lists configured in a way that hitting the "reply" button will reply to the
mailing list and not to the sender. In the context of the ASF at least, I
think this totally makes sense to not start private conversations.

Does anyone actually care about this configuration or should I ask infra to
modify the default "reply-to" header on the mailing lists ?

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISCUSS] Change reply-to for mailing lists

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
That's really weird.

Btw, I've checked the headers on the first email of this thread and I don't
have any reply-to:

Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 09:31:31 +0200
From: Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>
To: Maven Developers List <de...@maven.apache.org>

I think gmail displays the message I sent, and hides
identical message received from the mailing list, that may be the reason
why the reply-to does not work.  I wonder if this could be caused by the
fact that I did set up my gmail account to impersonate gnodet@apache.org
when sending emails...
I also found that I could configure gmail to default to "reply to all"
which will help a lot in those cases.

Thx !

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
I'm using gmail too.  It seems gmail does explicitly not obey the reply-to
header if the sender is yourself.
For example if I hit reply on your email, the "to" field is correctly
filled to dev@maven.apache.org, but if I hit reply on  my own message
(which is my problem because I was replying / closing the mvnd vote), the
"to" field is filled with my own address.
Is that the same behavior for you ?

Guillaume

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2022-05-11 um 09:31 schrieb Guillaume Nodet:
> I've been hit several times by the fact that the maven mailing lists are
> configured in a weird (to me...) way.  I'm used to have the ASF mailing
> lists configured in a way that hitting the "reply" button will reply to the
> mailing list and not to the sender. In the context of the ASF at least, I
> think this totally makes sense to not start private conversations.
>
> Does anyone actually care about this configuration or should I ask infra to
> modify the default "reply-to" header on the mailing lists ?

This is actually what I would expect. No private discussions. Luckily
Thunderbird has a reply to list button ;-)

Michael