Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Rainer Klute <ra...@gmx.de> on 2001/02/06 18:27:34 UTC

Licensing problems

Due to licensing problems I cannot include log4j properly in a commercial
product.

While (according to the Apache License) this is no problem with log4j as
such, it *is* a problem with Sun Microsystem's Java API for XML Processing. This
software is currently available as "early access" and may be used for
internal use only.

Log4j uses the classes javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory,
javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder and javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError from
this API. Is there a way to avoid them, at least until there is a version
without licensing problems? Is there an alternate implementation?

--
Best regards
Rainer Klute

  Dipl.-Inform.                     E-Mail: rainer.klute@epost.de
  Rainer Klute                        Tel.: (0172) 2324824
  Körner Grund 24                           (0231) 511693
D-44143 Dortmund                       Fax: (0231) 511809

Re: Licensing problems

Posted by Rainer Klute <ra...@gmx.de>.
> Anyway, also Xerces-J implements those classes (I wrote them before
> joining
> Sun), so, you might want to check that out...

Thanks for this hint! Within the particular environment I use log4j I still
had an outdated Xerces version which does not yet implement the
javax.xml.parsers classes. I'll replace it in a second...

--
Best regards
Rainer Klute

  Dipl.-Inform.                     E-Mail: rainer.klute@epost.de
  Rainer Klute                        Tel.: (0172) 2324824
  K�rner Grund 24                           (0231) 511693
D-44143 Dortmund                       Fax: (0231) 511809

Re: Licensing problems

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Rainer Klute <ra...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Due to licensing problems I cannot include log4j properly in a commercial
> product.
>
> While (according to the Apache License) this is no problem with log4j as
> such, it *is* a problem with Sun Microsystem's Java API for XML Processing.
> This
> software is currently available as "early access" and may be used for
> internal use only.
>
> Log4j uses the classes javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory,
> javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder and
> javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError from
> this API. Is there a way to avoid them, at least until there is a version
> without licensing problems? Is there an alternate implementation?

I'm not on Log4J-User anymore, but I get a peek to what happens being the
moderator... Sun's JAXP 1.0 (which contains the classes you're talking
about) is _NOT_ "early access". Only 1.1 is, but it should be out quite
soon.

Anyway, also Xerces-J implements those classes (I wrote them before joining
Sun), so, you might want to check that out...

    Pier

--
Pier Fumagalli                                 <ma...@betaversion.org>

RE: Licensing problems

Posted by Chris Todd <ch...@home.com>.
Unless I am sorely mistaken, Xerces-J implements these classes.  It is also
open source, from the Apache Software Foundation, and can be included in any
software project, commercial or otherwise.  Check it out at
http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/

Sincerest regards,
Chris Todd
chris.todd@home.com