Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> on 2012/09/05 13:04:29 UTC

[VOTE] Move Maven projects sources to git

Hi,
This vote is to decide moving our source tree currently located in one
svn repository to git (multiple git repositories).
First, we need to have at least 3 volunteers to help on Apache infra
for this move and more generally on git Apache infrastructure. (if you
are volunteer you must say that with your vote).
The vote will pass on majority (PMC committer) and if we have the
minimum of 3 volunteers !
BTW contributors can express their opinion by a vote too !
The vote will decide on moving all the source tree  (volunteers time
will the main throttle).

Volunteers will decide on what they move (notification on dev@ is mandatory).
The goal is to move simple projects first(scm,surefire, indexer,core,
wagon etc..) then plugins (except if Kristian want to start with
plugins immediately :-) )

Vote open for 72H.

[+1] Move to git scm
[0] No interest
[-1] don't move to git (please explain why)

Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: [VOTE] Move Maven projects sources to git

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+1 but have no time to volunteer at the moment.

On 9/5/12 6:04 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
> Hi,
> This vote is to decide moving our source tree currently located in one
> svn repository to git (multiple git repositories).
> First, we need to have at least 3 volunteers to help on Apache infra
> for this move and more generally on git Apache infrastructure. (if you
> are volunteer you must say that with your vote).
> The vote will pass on majority (PMC committer) and if we have the
> minimum of 3 volunteers !
> BTW contributors can express their opinion by a vote too !
> The vote will decide on moving all the source tree  (volunteers time
> will the main throttle).
>
> Volunteers will decide on what they move (notification on dev@ is mandatory).
> The goal is to move simple projects first(scm,surefire, indexer,core,
> wagon etc..) then plugins (except if Kristian want to start with
> plugins immediately :-) )
>
> Vote open for 72H.
>
> [+1] Move to git scm
> [0] No interest
> [-1] don't move to git (please explain why)

John Casey
Developer, PMC Member - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
GitHub - http://github.com/jdcasey

Re: [VOTE] Move Maven projects sources to git

Posted by Tony Chemit <ch...@codelutin.com>.
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 13:04:29 +0200
Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

+1, but can not be volunteer no time at all ATM.

Next month should be better to help you guys and do some code at last...

tony.

> Hi,
> This vote is to decide moving our source tree currently located in one
> svn repository to git (multiple git repositories).
> First, we need to have at least 3 volunteers to help on Apache infra
> for this move and more generally on git Apache infrastructure. (if you
> are volunteer you must say that with your vote).
> The vote will pass on majority (PMC committer) and if we have the
> minimum of 3 volunteers !
> BTW contributors can express their opinion by a vote too !
> The vote will decide on moving all the source tree  (volunteers time
> will the main throttle).
>
> Volunteers will decide on what they move (notification on dev@ is mandatory).
> The goal is to move simple projects first(scm,surefire, indexer,core,
> wagon etc..) then plugins (except if Kristian want to start with
> plugins immediately :-) )
>
> Vote open for 72H.
>
> [+1] Move to git scm
> [0] No interest
> [-1] don't move to git (please explain why)

Tony Chemit

Re: [VOTE] Move Maven projects sources to git

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@gmail.com>.
+1

Emmanuel

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
same here

but I'm convinced git can help in some cases, like maintaining branches in
parallel

so I'm finally +1

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
I can help out a bit with documentation as I've helped authoring a guideline over at the CouchDb and DeltaSpike projects (where we both use GIT)

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Git_At_Apache_Guide
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/SVNvsGIT

Some of it needs updating. Especially since I consider the 'experiment' to be successful.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.
+1 I/we can volunteer.

-                                                               -
- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -
-                                                               -

Re: [VOTE] Move Maven projects sources to git

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+0

S.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
well, for gods sake and (and for the peace of the bits on my ssd) I move my vote to +1 as well

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>.
On 09/11/2012 07:13 AM, Kristian Rosenvold wrote:
>> But GIT sucks a bit when it comes to projects like maven-shared and maven-plugins which get released in portions. We already explained that with long words and we might have found a compromise which doesn't hurt too badly. But still it has to be verified if that works out.
>
> Tagging the whole repo svn-style definitely works, and the
> maven-plugins repo isn't that big either. We could consider stephen's
> subdivision suggestion, but really I think it's totally viable to just
> leave one big repo. We're talking 37mb for the full history of
> everything, give or take a few bytes. Not too much by any modern
> standard.

I would vote for just splitting the Maven plugins into separate git
repos.  I normally don't find myself needing to checkout/build/work on
multiple plugins at once, so giving them each a separate lifecycle would
be fine, IMO.  But we could probably leave these migrations for later
after we migrate Maven core and some of the other more monolithic projects.

>> We now count the year 1 after goog-vs-orcl and must really be cautious about intellectual property!
>
> How is accepting a patch in Jira from user "fuzzyBear" without any
> further credentials attached (and no visible identification of a real
> or imagined person) different form a github pull request ? So while I
> agree about being careful about IP, i can't see our current regime
> being a bit different from github. You may argue that we'd want to
> tighten this, but this is the current reality for over 1 million
> committs. I have no idea of how many "John Smith" accounts there are
> in our jira, but we pretend to ignore the fact.

I agree, if anything git patches give us a bit more protection regarding
IP because it tracks the name and email of the author.  In addition, we
could make it our policy to not accept patches in git that don't appear
to have a valid author name and email.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Yes, that works fine already. I've already used it for releasing Apache DeltaSpike where we do not have the pom directly under the root folder but in a ./deltaspike/ folder (in parallel to docs, etc)

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
Is this not where the use of Review Board ( or preferably, Gerrit IMHO ) comes into play, any patch/commit goes thru the code review system prior to being accepted, and part of that review process is a required signoff that committer X has a contribution license for the project.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+0 with a long explanation

I'm really a friend of GIT in general. As some might remember I am even the guy who kicked off the GIT madness in maven land back in 2007 in the first place [1].

But I'm also a friend of using the right tool for the right job.

GIT is great for projects which are not using dynamic modularity, because the concept of 'modules' is almost non-existing in GIT.
I think GIT will work fine for maven-core and maven-scm, wagon or surefire which always get released as a whole. I think in those areas it would give us a certain benefit.

But GIT sucks a bit when it comes to projects like maven-shared and maven-plugins which get released in portions. We already explained that with long words and we might have found a compromise which doesn't hurt too badly. But still it has to be verified if that works out.

When it comes to community building I have my concerns that GIT will be of much benefit.
We use GIT very successfully over in Apache DeltaSpike where it is very clear where the cannonical repository lives. If this is clear and all people know where they should get the main stuff from, then GIT is really great. And please forget about pull requests from some unknown github repos. We now count the year 1 after goog-vs-orcl and must really be cautious about intellectual property! This is just not possible because of the legal impacts as github doesnt check an authority of the authors.

But here is another example where it did not work out: A few days ago a guy pinged us on #maven about the osxappbundle-maven-plugin. He just found 20++ versions around on github and none of them was working correctly. He didn't even know that the original one was still maintained in SVN in codehaus. So we went through all the versions on github and most of them contained different patches. And actually all of them only worked for a very specific situation. There was exactly 0 of them which worked on all 3 last OSX versions!

What does this mean?

If it's so much easier to make a private clone on github and fix exactly my own problem which I have right now, then this doesn't include feedback from others. And this not only bypasses the community but also confuses others. I'd really appreciate if people would be more careful with their clones and github would introduce a mandatory field

[x] my original work
[x] original code can be found: ....
but that's another story.

My summary: a project of that size is only working if there is a community around it. And whether you like a cannonical repo or not, it to some degrees forces users to talk with each others and give feedback!

LieGrue,
strub

[1] https://github.com/struberg/maven-scm-providers-git/commit/e670863b2b03e158c59f34af1fee20f91b2bd852

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Changing my vote to +1 based on Kristian and Mark's recent exchanges.

Wayne

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Vincent

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/9/5 Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>:
> We only move things we are satisfied with. But we don't vote on each
> item unless there turns out to be some real issues to solve.
> Most of the maven projects already have excellent git repositories at
> http://git.apache.org/,

Note: current ASF projects using git as canonical scm are located
here: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1, cannot help unfortunatelely

Milos

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1 and volunteer for infra help.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
"No-one is using cvs anymore."

That's a wrong assumption, sad but true.
I still know companies which haven't invested in moving forward to a new
versioning system, because CVS still works good enough.
Investments is not only about the hardware and the investigation,
preparation and execution of the migration of repositories, but also about
the education of the users, for several reasons.

-Robert

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/9/6 Jesse Glick <jg...@cloudbees.com>:
> On 09/05/2012 08:39 AM, Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>
>> I'm a bit curious to see if that will increase externals contributions.
>

> I think plain Git is only marginally more friendly for external contributors
> than Subversion. Yes you can create a local branch and update it against
> trunk changes, but you still need to manually attach patches to JIRA;
> reviewing and updating patches this way is painful.
Maybe we can improve tooling I started long ago
(http://olamy.blogspot.fr/2011/11/from-pull-request-to-jira-issue.html).
As jira is definitely better for issue management !

> It is GitHub, principally pull requests but also the ability to comment on
> individual diff lines in any published revision, which is far and away
> better for collaboration. If Maven and satellite projects are moved to Git
> hosted on Apache servers only, I do not see contributions being much easier.
> The better approach to my mind would be to use GitHub-hosted repositories
> for all collaboration and ongoing development, and just mirror to Apache
> clones if necessary for legal reasons. Is that possible? If not, GitHub
> mirrors could still be used for pull requests, but the committer would have
> to do some manual synchronization.
For legal reasons, not possible.
BTW contributors can use github to propose pull request to git mirrors
@github github.com/apache so we can fetch changes from others (hey
it's a dvcs :-) ) or use generated patches.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
github pull requests can be accepted even though we are ASF hosted, in
fact github will automatically close the corresponding
pull request as the commit is pushed back through the git mirroring
from asf->github.com/apache. I think github is extremely
important, but they have also managed to be smart enough to make
themselves unimportant.

If I understand this correctly we maintain a written record of all
pull requests by echoing their full content
to some mailing list, so effectively we do not need patches attached
to jira. Someone please do correct me if I'm wrong on
this.

Personally I think the git/github/asf combo is mindbendingly more
flexible and open for submissions than svn ever will be; using git-svn
and github can get you close but it's a dirty workflow sometimes and
it's really mostly sustainable for people with strong git skills.

Kristian

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
forget pulls from github.

Everyone can create a commit which is allegedly from you (email and name) and others will have no whatever chance to verify that!
Now combine that with complex scenarios where you pull in more than a simple change which you can track manually and you have the perfect way for someone to introduce backdoors.

By having the authorisation plus authentication on an ASF server and always verifying it on a push (and keeping the push logs) we can at least verify a chain.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Jesse Glick <jg...@cloudbees.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
I think Chris ask more what will that change for our projects for
community point.
Perso I'm a bit curious to see if that will increase externals contributions.
I don't want to do that only to ease life of "private maven forkers".
But so this discussion must in a separate thread not in the vote thread.

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
Hi,
As Kristian said, there's already a Zillion articles referencing it.
Personnally, (DVCS advantage) I really like being able to work
locally/offline, going back and forth in the history and branches, *very
quickly*. Having no difficulty to navigate between ideas without much
burden.
Being able to make many commits and totally reworking history to tell a
good story before going public (I've heard Git is particularly advanced in
this area even amongst DVCS).

Cheers

2012/9/6 Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Baptiste MATHUS wrote:
>
>> +1 (non binding).
>>
>> Willing to help. Git shows clear advantages over svn.
>>

> Lots of people have made that statement. Along with the advantages of
> "DSCM", as it's implicitly obvious.
>
> Well, I'm saying that its NOT obvious.
>
> Care to educate me?

Sauvez un arbre,
Mangez un castor !

Re: [VOTE] Move Maven projects sources to git

Posted by Baptiste MATHUS <ml...@batmat.net>.
+1 (non binding).

Willing to help. Git shows clear advantages over svn.

Posted by Garvin LeClaire <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2012/9/5 Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>:
> It's not a matter of thinking that git is like SVN at all.
>
> It's the exact opposite in fact; they are different, to the extent that it entails a whole new approach.
>
> We have a well resourced, well understood, well supported tool and mature practices with our current SVN.
>
> All I am saying is that we really should stop and think as to whether we want to throw that out. I, personally am not convinced.
>
> At the end of the day, it's more about WHAT we produce (maven, plugins etc) than the TOOLS (SVN, git, etc) we use.
>
> For those who want to use git, fine stick with git SVN, but don't force me to learn a new tool; I do enough of that already. (and I've just come from a project where the personal preferences of a few immature devs forced the abandonment of good mature practices and had Hg shoved down our throats; and this is a $40 Billion dollar company, let's not make the same mistake here).
Sorry for that. But (perso) I use git on some projects and I find it
fine. Moving from svn to git is a bit simple (just some commands to
replace).
BTW We will have to document some basic stuff (replace the page
http://maven.apache.org/developers/conventions/svn.html with common
useful git commands)

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
OMG, had a similar experience only recently.

We should incorporate a module which got created by another company. We requested to get the source and so we got access to their SVN repo.
The first thing I saw was 35 directories with almost identical sources. And no, that was not managed as SVN branches (svn copy) but they did 'branches' by doing a recursive copy of their sources on the file system (cp -r into a new directory with incremental numbers) and then checked that in as fresh sources with svn add.

What should I say...

Anyway, that is heavily offtopic already and I assume that we don't have any devs of that kind around actively working on maven ;)

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
fwiw, i suspect most of us that have voted simply prefer working with
git over svn

certainly anyone that has had to manage branching and merging with svn
vs git would understand...it is simply better with git.

sorry you had management push you to use Hg, but git is a solid
upgrade over svn at this point....look at the eclipse foundation, svn
was trying to replace cvs there for years and with cvs being turned
off everyone is going to git, and its but a nice upgrade.  svn was
never natively supported out of the gate with eclipse without extra
installation steps...git is native in eclipse with the egit project.
cvs is being turned off soon there and afaik no project chose to
migrate to svn from cvs, they simply switched to git :)

cheers,
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
If we applied the same logic back in 2004, we would still be on CVS.
Personally, I think Git affords us a lot of opportunity to streamline
the contribution process and a much cleaner way of working (patching,
rebasing, local branches, etc.)

I've switched to Git for all of the rest of what I do, and I have to say
that even with the tooling still just maturing even now, Git is
far-and-away easier to use. I spend a lot less time juggling working
directories, generating patches just to back out something I'm working
on at the moment to switch gears for a bugfix, and accepting
contributions from anyone is straightforward (especially compared to SVN).

I think the world is well beyond simply jumping on the bandwagon with
Git; it works well and enables new forms of interaction with the
community. We're actually trailing the field by waiting until now to
move. I think it's probably prudent, given the size of Maven (and ASF
more generally), but we're definitely not riding the cutting edge here.

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding can help

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
+1 non binding

In terms of learning more about git, there are a LOT of free resources
available including books and other documentation as well as things like
live office hours at github and so on.

GitHub is also open sourcing all their training material so there will be
more as well.. and lots of it is around git concepts and not github
specifics.

A small word of warning though.. once you have learned git and enjoyed the
benefits you will feel bad whenever you use another version control
system.

manfred

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Graham <ch...@gmail.com>.
-1 Non binding.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1 and volunteer for infra help.
I'll find the opportunity to launch few more shells commands per day :-)

Arnaud

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Stephen Connolly <

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Fedorenko <ig...@ifedorenko.com>.
+1

Igor

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> [+1] Move to git scm
> [0] No interest
> [-1] don't move to git (please explain why)

+1 (binding)

No capacity for volunteering to help :(

Re: [VOTE] Move Maven projects sources to git

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@zenior.no>.
+1 Will volunteer

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
I'm +1

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paul Gier <pg...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
I think it would be a very pragmatic move to simply leave the
"maven-plugins" project unmigrated
until we have established documentation and tool support to a level
where we're happy with whatever solution we choose.

I think the only really disasterous version we could end up with is
the one which is currently in the maven-plugins asf repo,
where the structure of the repo changes entirely as you checkout a
tag. Other than that I don't /really/ think one-repo-per-plugin,
one big repo or some other subdivision (maven-xAR-plugins comes to
mind) is going to make that much of a difference.

Kristian

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.