Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Serge Panev <sp...@nvidia.com.INVALID> on 2021/08/29 23:10:28 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.9.0.rc7

Dear community,

This is a call for a releasing Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.9.0, release
candidate 7.

Apache MXNet (incubating) community has voted and approved the release.

Vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r7da1068178bb5f860cd0b20788c5510f31eaf0595f8f44cf42c09393%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

Result thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rc03c1e94bd91b2fb5bfabc72f3eb79af3204779fe53bd4da72202027%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E

The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.9.0.rc7/

The tag to be voted upon is 1.9.0.rc7:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.9.0.rc7

The release hash is b5e9ae89bb5a4232875cd354ffe9a091b43bba69:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/b5e9ae89bb5a4232875cd354ffe9a091b43bba69

KEYS file available:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/KEYS

For information about the contents of this release, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/1.9.0+Release+Notes

The vote will be open for 7 days.

[ ] +1 release this package as 1.9.0.rc7
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 do not release this package because...

Best regards,
Serge Panev

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.9.0.rc7

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
hi, Panev

+1 (binding) from me,
I checked the license issue in the rc6 version, and it has been fixed here.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/issues/20475

I have checked the following items:
- Incubating in name
- LICENSE and NOTICE are fine
- DISCLAIMER exists
- All links are valid
- No unexpected binary files
- All ASF files have ASF headers

Xun Liu
Best regards,

Posted by Joe Evans <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> It is stated in the `./LICENSE`[1] file that 3rdparty/ctc_include is
> > `Apache-2.0 license`,
> > but the file in ctc_include is `NVIDIA CORPORATION` [2].
> > I'm not sure if this will be a problem?

That looks like an issue to me.

The 3rdparty/ctc_include directory includes the modengpu 3rd-party
component (in 3rdparty/ctc_include/contrib/moderngpu) which was copyrighted
by NVIDIA but licensed under the BSD 3-clause license and already mentioned
in LICENSE file under the *3-clause BSD license* section (see
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/v1.9.x/LICENSE#L263) -
shouldn't this suffice for LICENSE file inclusion?

Relevant lines in LICENSE:

> =======================================================================================
>     Apache-2.0 license
>
> =======================================================================================
>     <...>
>     3rdparty/ctc_include
>     <...>
>
> =======================================================================================
>     3-clause BSD license
>
> =======================================================================================
>     <...>
>     3rdparty/ctc_include/contrib/moderngpu

Thanks.
Joe

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Regards the headers, perhaps think of it this way.

If you leave the headers on, you are respecting the original copyright holder and their license for that code. The license is compatible with the ASF license so there no issue, you just need to list it in you LICENSE file. If you remove the header, without permission of the copyright holder, how might they react if they found out? Do you think they would be happy if the license changed without their permission?

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.9.0.rc7

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by "kezhenxu94@apache" <ke...@apache.org>.
Oh yes, the problem is that `3rdparty/ctc_include` should be listed under `BSD-3` section instead of `Apache-2.0` section in the `./LICENSE` file.

> On Sep 13, 2021, at 20:28, Xun Liu <li...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> hi, zhenxu
>
> It is stated in the `./LICENSE`[1] file that 3rdparty/ctc_include is
> `Apache-2.0 license`,
> but the file in ctc_include is `NVIDIA CORPORATION` [2].
> I'm not sure if this will be a problem?
>

> [1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/master/LICENSE#L221
> [2]
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/blob/v1.9.x/3rdparty/ctc_include/contrib/moderngpu/include/mgpudevice.cuh#L2
>

> Xun Liu
> Best regards,
>

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 7:56 PM kezhenxu94@apache <ke...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>>> I checked the mxnet project again,
>>> and I found that all the files in the third-party submodule
>>> ./3rdparty/ctc_include did not include ASF headers.
>>
>> Hi Xun, those files are from third-party, and is listed in LICENSE
>>
>> —————————
>> Zhenxu Ke (柯振旭)
>> GitHub @kezhenxu94

—————————
Zhenxu Ke (柯振旭)
GitHub @kezhenxu94

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.9.0.rc7

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
hi, zhenxu

Posted by "kezhenxu94@apache" <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
Hi, Panev

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Thanks for helping us check. We will do a full review of the licenses of files (and hopefully find ways for automation for them too).

Automation may help but it is no replacement for human eyes.

> These files are adapted from numpy with significant modification from mxnet contributors under ICLA.

It depends on what you mean by significant, usually changes made to 3rd party files stay under the original license. See [1] on this, note that "Do not add the standard Apache License header to the top of third-party source files.”. If the license was to change, and the headers replaced then that needs to be noted in NOTICE. Please make sure that the license is noted in LICENSE.

> These files are in similar situation to the numpy files above, where they were adapted from projects with ALv2 with MS copyright but with significant modification covered by ICLA.

There is a mix of licenses in there and they are not mention in LICENSE. All 3rd party code needs to be mentioned in LICENSE.

>> 6. ./include/dlpack/dlpack.h
>> 7. ./include/dmlc/
>
> We missed them due to them being symlinks in our project.

You need to check the source artefact, the license and notice files need to reflect what is actually released. [2]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party
2. https://infra.apache.org/licensing-howto.html#guiding

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache MXNet (incubating) version 1.9.0.rc7

Posted by Sheng Zha <zh...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks for helping us check. We will do a full review of the licenses of files (and hopefully find ways for automation for them too). Since we did specifically look at some of the files that were mentioned to have issues when preparing rc7, I think that we must have been operating under misinformed understanding of how to handle the licenses in these situations. It would be great if you could help clarify:

> 1. ./src/operator/numpy/np_einsum_op.cc
> 2. ./src/operator/numpy/np_einsum_op-inl.h
> 3. ./src/operator/numpy/np_einsum_path_op-inl.h

These files are adapted from numpy with significant modification from mxnet contributors under ICLA. Our intention of keeping two license headers is that the new license header we add governs the modification happened in MXNet. What's the recommended way to reflect this?

> 8.  ./src/operator/contrib/deformable_psroi_pooling-inl.h
> 9.  ./src/operator/contrib/deformable_psroi_pooling.cc
> 10.  ./src/operator/contrib/deformable_psroi_pooling.cu
> 11.  ./src/operator/contrib/multi_proposal-inl.h
> 12.  ./src/operator/contrib/multi_proposal.cc
> 13. ./src/operator/contrib/multi_proposal.cu
> 14.  ./src/operator/contrib/psroi_pooling.cc
> 15.  ./src/operator/contrib/psroi_pooling.cu

These files are in similar situation to the numpy files above, where they were adapted from projects with ALv2 with MS copyright but with significant modification covered by ICLA. At the time of adaptation of these files, there were no notice files we needed to include. What's the proper way to reflect this?

> 6. ./include/dlpack/dlpack.h
> 7. ./include/dmlc/

We missed them due to them being symlinks in our project. We will add detection for symlink files to ensure they are covered.

Thanks,
Sheng

Posted by "kezhenxu94@apache" <ke...@apache.org>.
Carry my +1 from dev@

> On Aug 30, 2021, at 07:10, Serge Panev <sp...@nvidia.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Dear community,
>
> This is a call for a releasing Apache MXNet (incubating) 1.9.0, release
> candidate 7.
>
> Apache MXNet (incubating) community has voted and approved the release.
>
> Vote thread:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r7da1068178bb5f860cd0b20788c5510f31eaf0595f8f44cf42c09393%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
>
> Result thread:
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rc03c1e94bd91b2fb5bfabc72f3eb79af3204779fe53bd4da72202027%40%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
>
> The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/1.9.0.rc7/
>
> The tag to be voted upon is 1.9.0.rc7:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/releases/tag/1.9.0.rc7
>
> The release hash is b5e9ae89bb5a4232875cd354ffe9a091b43bba69:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commit/b5e9ae89bb5a4232875cd354ffe9a091b43bba69
>
> KEYS file available:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/mxnet/KEYS
>
> For information about the contents of this release, see:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MXNET/1.9.0+Release+Notes
>
> The vote will be open for 7 days.
>
> [ ] +1 release this package as 1.9.0.rc7
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 do not release this package because...
>
> Best regards,
> Serge Panev

—————————
Zhenxu Ke (柯振旭)