Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "KURUGANTI, LAKSHMI, INFOT" <ku...@att.com> on 2006/08/31 15:53:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Running http under a regular user id

All,

We installed apache 2.0.59.Our requirement is to start/stop this server
using a regular id other than root.We changed the installation directory
permissions and also set the User and Group in httpd.conf to the
required user and group permissions , but still we can't get it
start/stop by regular user.It works fine with root id.

Error we are seeing is "(13)Permission denied: mod_weblogic: could not
create lock
Configuration Failed"

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks
-Lakshmi

Re: [users@httpd] Running http under a regular user id

Posted by Alexander Lazic <al...@none.at>.
Hi,

On Don 31.08.2006 09:53, KURUGANTI, LAKSHMI, INFOT wrote:

>We installed apache 2.0.59.Our requirement is to start/stop this server
>using a regular id other than root.We changed the installation
>directory permissions and also set the User and Group in httpd.conf to
>the required user and group permissions , but still we can't get it
>start/stop by regular user.It works fine with root id.
>
>Error we are seeing is "(13)Permission denied: mod_weblogic: could not
>create lock Configuration Failed"
>
>Any help is highly appreciated.

Due the fact that you don't have said on whic OS you run your apache
here the doc for the wl-plugin:

http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs81/plugins/plugin_params.html

You could also look with strace/truss/ktrace/.... in which dir wl want
to make the lock file.

Hth && regards

Alex

Re: [users@httpd] Running http under a regular user id

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/31/06, KURUGANTI, LAKSHMI, INFOT <ku...@att.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> We installed apache 2.0.59.Our requirement is to start/stop this server
> using a regular id other than root.We changed the installation directory
> permissions and also set the User and Group in httpd.conf to the required
> user and group permissions , but still we can't get it start/stop by regular
> user.It works fine with root id.
>
> Error we are seeing is "(13)Permission denied: mod_weblogic: could not
> create lock
> Configuration Failed"

If you run your server on the standard port (80; or, in fact, any port
below 1024), then you must have root permissions to start it.  This is
a basic unix permissions constraint and has nothing to do with apache
in particular.  It also appears in your case that mod_weblogic has a
separate need for root permissions someplace; I don't anything about
that.

If you need to start apache httpd from non-root and still use port 80,
you can try using sudo.  But be aware that the apache configuration is
flexible enough that anyone allowed to monkey with it can probably
obtain root on the system if apache is started as root.

Joshua.