Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2005/06/24 19:41:33 UTC

Re: Eclipse .project & .classpath files (is he talking about Maven again?!?!?!)

I know I don't have a vote here ;)  but if I did, it would be -1

Best case
---------
By doing this, you are forcing every developer to deal with files that will
always appear to have changes/differences.  Yes, Eclipse will touch those
files.

In most projects that I've been involved in.  You generally want to ignore
those files because they assume a certain IDE is being used by all.

Worst case
----------
What do you propose someone do if they need that spot (i.e. they are using a
different IDE and different format, which requires a ".classpath" file in
the place of the one under svn)?

Let's meet in the middle
------------------------
Not to beat the Maven drum any more than I have to....but that's actually
one of the cool features of Maven.  With a proper Maven project.xml file
describing dependencies, creating the .project and .classpath files for
*any* IDE is as simple as...

http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/eclipse/
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/idea/
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/jbuilder/

...ah shucks, take your pick...

http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/index.html

FYI - I will be Mavenizing the MyFaces build within the next couple of
weeks.  Whether it is accepted into SVN is another issue for another thread.
If not, I will make it available somewhere (wiki, docs, something).

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
I'm a little busy with the SVN reorg and build to concentrate on the
various arguments related to this issue.  At this point I'm fine with
James (or anyone else) experimenting with IDE project files, Maven,
etc. but I reserve the right to be -1 once I get a chance to sit down
and think about it some.

Right now the top priority has to be square away SVN, the build, etc.
If we find that things that we have added (project files, Maven)
aren't working we can easily dump them or modify them as we see fit.
So no harm in adding them but lets consider them to be experimental
until we can see how things will shake out.

sean

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.
Generation of the various IDE-specific project files from a single
source of truth would get my vote. :-)

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Antwort: Re: Eclipse .project & .classpath files (is he talking about Maven again?!?!?!)

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
christian.rueedi@globus.ch wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I just want to give my response aswell. As a rarely jsf developer, I'm
> always in the situation, that
> I've got to setup my myfaces enviroment from new, because I'm not always
> on track with the changes.
> Even Eclipse and its different web/jsf plugins change so quickly...
> It would save me alot of time if I could take the settings from one of
> the developers.
>
> It shouldn't be, that it is a must to use it. But for those who need a
> jump start.... it would be very comfortable...
>
> greets
>
>  Chris
>

> 	*"James Mitchell" <jm...@apache.org>*
>
> 24.06.2005 19:41
> Bitte antworten an "MyFaces Development"
>

>         An:        "MyFaces Development" <de...@myfaces.apache.org>
>         Kopie:
>         Thema:        Re: Eclipse .project & .classpath files (is he
> talking about Maven again?!?!?!)
>

> I know I don't have a vote here ;)  but if I did, it would be -1
>
> Best case
> ---------
> By doing this, you are forcing every developer to deal with files that will
> always appear to have changes/differences.  Yes, Eclipse will touch those
> files.
>
> In most projects that I've been involved in.  You generally want to ignore
> those files because they assume a certain IDE is being used by all.

I am in the same league as you although being more than familiar with
ant, have been using it myself for several years and many projects, I
always prefer to do the builds from an IDE and use ant only for cross
platform project team synching (aka stable build check)
and packaging.

Having a simple save cycle like in eclipse is so much faster than having
to go through ant constantly.
Although ant has its merits, I would welcome eclipse templates in a
separate sidedir which could be used as a jumpstart for development.

Re: Eclipse .project & .classpath files (is he talking about Maven again?!?!?!)

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
Oh, I know.  Been there, done that...remember.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Dudney <bd...@mac.com>.
Hi James,

Posted by ch...@globus.ch.