Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Debbie Wilson <De...@ca.ibm.com> on 2003/11/19 18:05:12 UTC

Crimson and dtd dependence

I recently found that if you have a dtd specified in an xml file and that
dtd file does not exist, you get the following:

!STACK 0
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
d:\EclipseEnvs\3.0\I20031113Data\eclipse\runtime-workspace\abc\xxmyDTD.xml
(The system cannot find the file specified)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.fatal(Parser2.java:3339)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.externalParameterEntity(Parser2.java:3027)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.maybeDoctypeDecl(Parser2.java:1314)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parseInternal(Parser2.java:623)
        at org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2.parse(Parser2.java:333)
        at
org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl.parse(XMLReaderImpl.java:448)
        at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.model.PropertyParser.parseResource(PropertyParser.java:114)

In my particular case, I specified that the parser was to be a
non-validating parser.  I don't really need the dtd to be present.

Is there a place I can log this as a crimson bug?  Am I likely to get a
fix for this problem or is there really no further development on crimson?
 Does anyone else have experience with such an issue?

                               Deb

Re: Crimson and dtd dependence

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Debbie Wilson wrote:
> I recently found that if you have a dtd specified in an xml file and
> that dtd file does not exist, you get the following:

<snip/>

> In my particular case, I specified that the parser was to be a
> non-validating parser.  I don't really need the dtd to be present.
>
> Is there a place I can log this as a crimson bug?  Am I likely to get
> a fix for this problem or is there really no further development on
> crimson?  Does anyone else have experience with such an issue?

Almost everyone has experience with this issue and it is not a
parser "bug".

If you declare a DTD in your XML instance, then the parser *must*
resolve it. This needs to happen even if you set the parser to be
non-validating.

Every XML framework needs to employ a "Catalog Entity Resolver", i.e.
http://xml.apache.org/commons/components/resolver/

(Please do not send HTML-formatted email to mailing lists.)

--David