Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net> on 2003/12/25 09:42:06 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] The simplest method to convert from AuthType Basic to AuthType Digest

"Victor B. Gonzalez" wrote:

>   I am trying to switch AuthType Basic to AuthType Digest but I have
>   many users and passwords. What is the simplest method of converting
>   them across in a seamless manner?
>
>   Thank you for any information and links on this!

I could very well be wrong here, but I don't think it's possible, or at
least not very easy.  You might be able to do it by running a 'password
cracker' against your crypted passwords to extract the plaintext, which
you would then run though md5.  But this will almost certainly take a
very long time (weeks, months, years, ???) with many passwords,
depending of course on how well the passwords were chosen.

Brian

Re[2]: [users@httpd] The simplest method to convert from AuthType Basic to AuthType Digest

Posted by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com>.
Hello Brian,

>>   I am trying to switch AuthType Basic to AuthType Digest but I have
>>   many users and passwords. What is the simplest method of converting
>>   them across in a seamless manner?

BD> You might be able to do it by running a 'password cracker' against
BD> your crypted passwords to extract the plaintext, which you would
BD> then run though md5. But this will almost certainly take a very
BD> long time (weeks, months, years, ???) with many passwords,
BD> depending of course on how well the passwords were chosen.

 Yeah I feared the response :) Thanks Brian :)

--
Best regards,
 Victor B. Gonzalez

apache_2.0.48-win32-x86-no_src
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1