Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> on 2009/03/04 21:48:57 UTC

Distribution of non-ASF licensed documentation

Hi,

today I encountered an ASF project (which I don't want to disclose on a
public list) which distributes a doc as PDF, obviously generated from
OpenOffice. The PDF itself does contain the authors copyright. But there
is no license attached to the doc.

My understanding is that this should/must be fixed. How can I proceed?
Go to the project's PMC? Go to legal-discuss-private?

Thanks for any help,

   Bernd

Re: Distribution of non-ASF licensed documentation

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>>>
>>> today I encountered an ASF project (which I don't want to disclose on a
>>> public list) which distributes a doc as PDF, obviously generated from
>>> OpenOffice. The PDF itself does contain the authors copyright. But there is
>>> no license attached to the doc.
>>
>> Did the author commit it?
>
> No, don't think so. The original author committed the original doc - _and_
> the translation.
>
>> If so, by the ICLA that explicit act of
>> committing would be a grant of Apache license.
>
> The person who actually _did_ the translation has no ICLA on file and I
> cannot find a JIRA for this contribution.

Contact the committer to get the backstory. If quiet then goto PMC. If
not resolved then discuss with Legal PMC [mail Sam to find the best
target for that].

Too abstract to understand currently :)

Hen

Re: Distribution of non-ASF licensed documentation

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Bernd Fondermann wrote:

> today I encountered an ASF project (which I don't want to disclose on a
> public list) which distributes a doc as PDF, obviously generated from
> OpenOffice. The PDF itself does contain the authors copyright. But there
> is no license attached to the doc.

Did the author commit it?  If so, by the ICLA that explicit act of
committing would be a grant of Apache license.