Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Bart Molenkamp <b....@bizzdesign.nl> on 2007/01/15 11:26:06 UTC

Can't build trunk with a clean maven repository

Hi,

Cocoon doesn't seem to build when I clean my local maven repository. I
get the following error:

Missing:
----------
1) org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-pipeline-impl:test-jar:tests:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.cocoon
-DartifactId=cocoon-pipeline-impl \
          -Dversion=1.0.0-SNAPSHOT -Dpackaging=test-jar
-Dfile=/path/to/file

  Path to dependency:
        1)
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-pipeline-components:jar:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
        2)
org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-pipeline-impl:test-jar:tests:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT

----------
1 required artifact is missing.

for artifact:
  org.apache.cocoon:cocoon-pipeline-components:jar:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  apache.snapshots
(http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
  apache.snapshot
(http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
  apache-cvs (http://people.apache.org/repo/m1-snapshot-repository)

I found this page [1] to report a similair error. It says that this is
because of failing tests, but passing -Dmaven.test.skip=true doesn't
make any difference.

Anybody any idea?

Bart.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cocoon-dev/200605.mbox/%3Ce34i0
g$e3$1@sea.gmane.org%3E

Re: Can't build trunk with a clean maven repository

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <al...@mindquarry.com>.
The problem is that the cocoon-pipeline-impl TEST-jar is missing.
Test-jars are built in the test step, ie. -Dmaven.test.skip=true is
*not* set. Normally only other test-jars depend on such a test-jar (e.g.
when you have a Test base class, which is the case in cocoon, although I
am not familiar with the new core-split-up yet).

Test dependencies are marked as dependencies with the scope "test" in
maven, so they are only resolved when the test phase is running.

In this case the dependency comes from cocoon-pipeline-components, which
is the normal jar, not the test-jar. This means someone either forgot
the <scope>test</scope> in the dependency-section in
cocoon-pipeline-components pom or for some weird reason the
pipeline-components code does use some test classes. In the latter case
you have to built the test-jar for cocoon-pipeline-impl manually by
going into this directory and call mvn install (without test skip) to
built the test jar, then go back and do a normal mvn
-Dmaven.test.skip=true install, because now the test-jar is present.

If the creation of the test-jar fails, because the tests itself fail,
one should fix the tests.

But I suppose (without looking at the code) that the correct scope
property is missing.

This is one of those maven things you won't find in any tutorial but
have to learn yourself....

Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek