Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Graham Matthews <gr...@orangedogsoftware.com> on 2013/09/05 20:28:33 UTC

small RDF data sets

Hi

This isn't directly a Jena question, but I think the group can help me.

I am teaching a class on RDF using Jena.

What I am looking for is some SMALL RDF data sets for use with Jena. I would prefer N3 or Turtle data sets (since XML is a pain), but my main criterion is small sets with just a few 100 triples, so that students can get their feet wet before we move onto something like the ordnance survey.

thanks
graham

Re: small RDF data sets

Posted by Joshua TAYLOR <jo...@gmail.com>.
SInce it's not Jena specific, you might do well to ask on something
like http:/answers.semanticweb.com.  However, to answer your question,
I'm fond of getting the RDF dumps for resources in DBpedia.  For
instance, visit

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Mount_Monadnock

which will redirect to

http://dbpedia.org/page/Mount_Monadnock

and at the bottom of the page, there are download links for the RDF in
various formats.  You'll get triples with a variety of properties, and
literals with various language tags and datatypes.

What you won't get, though, is a whole lot of graph structure, since
most of the triples will have the resource as the subject.  For this,
you might consider running some construct queries against an endpoint
like DBpedia's:

http://dbpedia.org/sparql

or the endpoint of the ordnance survey that you mentioned, using a
LIMIT in the WHERE portion, in order to constrain the size of the
results.

--
Joshua Taylor, http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/