Posted to dev@milagro.apache.org by Brian Spector <br...@qredo.com> on 2019/06/25 16:29:59 UTC

Software Grant attached

Hello, please find our software grant of the Decentralized Trust Authority.

Thanks
Brian

Re: Software Grant attached

Posted by Brian Spector <br...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Matt.

@dev this gives us the green light to create the MPC repo. We will be moving the code over shortly.

Thanks
Brian

Re: Software Grant attached

Software Grant attached

Posted by Brian Spector <br...@qredo.com>.
Hello,

Please find the attached signed Software Grant from Qredo Ltd granting the Apache Software foundation Multi-Party Computation (MPC) client and server code developed solely by Qredo Ltd.

Multi-party computation (MPC) is a branch of cryptography which deals with scenarios of multiple distrustful parties performing a single computation. There is a vast corpus of recent research into applying MPC techniques to digital signing, with immediate applications in crypto assets.
More specifically, MPC can be used to provide a threshold signature functionality in the following way:

(1) Several parties follow a specific protocol to generate multiple independent secrets, which are never shared (and should not be).

(2) These secrets are used in another protocol to produce a single digital signature.

While the value offering of MPC signing sounds very similar to that of a multisig address, the key distinction is that only a single digital signature is produced as a result, without requiring special support from the underlying blockchain.

Multisig transactions also require the coordination of parties upfront, whereas multi-party computation requires no coordination - the network protocol simply runs and produces a signature.

From a cybersecurity perspective, removing a static, stored private key and replacing it with a decentralized network of computers, done in the right way, effectively reduces the threat of digital asset theft of assets from a wallet down to impossible odds.

We have got +1 approval from the committers and mentor for this contribution.
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ree0661c52f0a1df7947a660eb6db6c9b83747fceec08befdb8068a07%40%3Cdev.milagro.apache.org%3E

We will create the MPC repo on Apache Milagro, and when we get the confirmation the grant has been accepted, we will check in the code.

Thanks!
Brian

Brian Spector
Chief Product and Strategy Officer
Qredo Ltd
T: +44 1394825764
Kemp House, 152 - 160 City Road
London EC1V 2NX
https://qredo.com

Qredo <https://qredo.com/> Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales (registered number 7834052).  This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, and are intended only for the named addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy, disclose to anyone else or otherwise use the content of this e-mail or any attachment thereto and should notify the sender immediately and delete them from your system.

Re: Software Grant attached