Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Todd Wright <xe...@jtconsult.com> on 2002/01/01 00:03:46 UTC

Re: Help Xerces2

Xerces is included with the distro, but it is not the default parser. If
you want to use Xerces, you will have to swap it out.

TW
At 05:35 PM 12/31/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Todd Wright wrote:
> > Good question.  Here is is. Sun has created a project JAXP. This project
> > encompases all of the xml capabilities within the jdk.(it will be included
> > in jdk1.4) JAXP at some point will ship with xerces. Right now it ships
> > with crimson (yuck!)  JAXP is a wrapper around the parsers. You could use
>
>JAXP is an API defined by Sun. Xerces implements this API and
>it *is* included with the distribution. If your application
>only needs access to DOM and SAX APIs, then you should use
>JAXP to instantiate your parser objects.
>
>However, both DOM and SAX lose information. So if you need
>extra information or need to perform a task that cannot be
>done with DOM or SAX, then you can write directly to the
>Xerces APIs. But most applications will never need this.
>
>--
>Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Todd Wright
Software Developer / Technical Trainer

www.jtconsult.com

Supposing is good, but finding out is better.
- Mark Twain

Re: Help Xerces2

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Todd Wright wrote:
> Xerces is included with the distro, but it is not the default parser. If
> you want to use Xerces, you will have to swap it out.

Good point. And this is going to be a constant problem in the
future because whatever JDK someone uses, it will contain an
older version of the XML parser. We should probably add some
documentation to explain this and provide a solution.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org