Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "M.Weiss" <m....@gmx.net> on 2002/11/26 14:56:38 UTC

German/French Special Characters in FOP

Hi everybody,

I got a serious problem with special characters, when doing the following:

I build up an XML-Document from given data-records. Theese records may
contain special characters, such as German "umlaute" ä,ö,ü,ß or french
"accents" à, û and so on.

The whole story runs fine with recors without those characters, but with one
or mor such chars, I got an FOP-Exception:

"An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0xfc) was found in the element content
of the document."

when rendering the XML-Document.

Does any one know how to deal with those characters ? Is there any kind of
conversion ?

Thanks and regards,
Marcus

Re: German/French Special Characters in FOP

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
Or even better: Generate SAX events and pipe them through to FOP. That
way you'll stay in Unicode the whole time and should not have any
problems with non-ASCII7 characters. And you avoid a temporary result
that's using up memory and slowing down the whole process with a
serialization and parsing sequence.

If you described in a bit more detail how you're generating XML it might
be simpler to for us to help you isolate the problem.

On 26.11.2002 15:04:59 Dennis Myrén wrote:
> Try saving your FO documents in UTF-8 and send to FOP.
>
> Regards
> Dennis

Jeremias Maerki