Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ji...@nucleus.com on 2005/03/16 07:05:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.52 French HTML Pages

I am trying to get French Characters to display and they are not
showing up properly (even with the Stock httpd.conf that came with
Apache 2.0.52

The characters show up as a Square

(check out http://home.nucleus.com:8080)

I have been beating my head against a wall for 2 days now and its
starting to hurt <grin>

I am running FC3   Patched uptodate here is my RPM version of httpd

system-config-httpd-1.3.1-1
httpd-manual-2.0.52-3.1
httpd-devel-2.0.52-3.1
httpd-suexec-2.0.52-3.1
httpd-2.0.52-3.1

Any one have any ideas?

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.52 French HTML Pages

Posted by "Anthony G. Atkielski" <an...@atkielski.com>.
jimh@nucleus.com writes:

> I am trying to get French Characters to display and they are not
> showing up properly (even with the Stock httpd.conf that came with
> Apache 2.0.52

Your pages contain accented French characters in the Windows character
set.  To be safe, you must translate all special and accented characters
to HTML escape sequences.  In other words, 'é' (e with an acute accent)
must be replaced by "&eacute;" in the HTML.

If you need a program that does this, I have the source of a C program
that I cooked up myself to translate the most common special characters
from Windows characters to the necessary escape sequences, which I can
e-mail to you.  There are probably other similar utilities on the Web as
well.

--
Anthony

[users@httpd] nevermind i figureed it out!