Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by pkrishna <pr...@ge.com> on 2009/08/19 02:06:55 UTC

Memory crunch during indexing

We are running into a memory crunch issue while saving about 2800 items in
the content respository. The save method works great for smaller subset of
data but there is a need for us to save large numbers of content items. At
some point during the save, we are running out of heap space. The
application was jprofiled and the profiler indicates that the memory crunch
is happening during lucene indexing that seems to happen during save. The
items we are saving extend nt:file objects and jcr:data property in the
jcr:content node that is contained in out custom object points to large byte
arrays. Since we didn't have any indexing_configuration.xml, we think these
large byte arrays are being indexed and could be cause of our problems.

I was reading about having creating custom indexing_configuration.xml that
would limit indexing to only certain properties in the custom object.

Is there a way to specifically suppress indexing on jcr:data property of
jcr:content or just by specifing the properties to be indexed, the
properties\nodetypes not mentioned in the indexing_configuration.xml are not
automatically indexed?

If you think this may not be the cause of memory crunch, is there a setting
in SearchIndex configuration section in the repository.xml that could the
problem we are seeing?