Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2005/02/19 15:29:56 UTC

Re: svn commit: r154402 - in apr/apr-util/trunk: build.conf build/dbd.m4 configure.in include/apu.h.in

pquerna@apache.org wrote:
> Author: pquerna
> Date: Sat Feb 19 02:12:41 2005
> New Revision: 154402

> Log:
> Hook the PostgreSQL DBD driver into autoconf.
> The current code will not autodetect Postgres on all systems.

Doesn't the DBD code expect the postgres dbd module to be built as a
shared library and then loaded dynamically, rather than just linking it
in to libaprutil?  It seems like there needs to be some Makefile.in
magic to make that happen...

-garrett

Re: svn commit: r154402 - in apr/apr-util/trunk: build.conf build/dbd.m4 configure.in include/apu.h.in

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:

> Leaving it directly linked in to libaprutil seems fine for now, but I
> imagine we'll want to split it out sooner or later, since it would be
> inconvenient for packagers to have to make libaprutil depend on
> postgres, sqlite, mysql, and whatever else we end up implementing...

Agreed.

I've just updated the source to change

#if APR_HAS_DSO

#if APR_DSO_BUILD

That'll build it correctly for a static link for the time being.
Then we can
#define APR_DSO_BUILD APR_HAS_DSO
once the autofoo sufficiently supports dynamic building

--
Nick Kew

Re: svn commit: r154402 - in apr/apr-util/trunk: build.conf build/dbd.m4 configure.in include/apu.h.in

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
Paul Querna wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>> pquerna@apache.org wrote:
>>
>>> Author: pquerna
>>> Date: Sat Feb 19 02:12:41 2005
>>> New Revision: 154402

>>> Log:
>>> Hook the PostgreSQL DBD driver into autoconf.
>>> The current code will not autodetect Postgres on all systems.
>>

>> Doesn't the DBD code expect the postgres dbd module to be built as a
>> shared library and then loaded dynamically, rather than just linking
>> it in to libaprutil?  It seems like there needs to be some Makefile.in
>> magic to make that happen...
>

> It can be staticly linked, or dynamically loaded. Either works fine, afaik.

As designed, it is loaded dynamically if APR_HAS_DSO, statically if not.

ISTR we still have unfinished business re: mysql licensing.  We haven't
heard anything from them, unless I've missed it.  I'll have to check
it against the current svn and keep it up-to-date until I have my own
SVN open (which is getting delayed now by an enforced house move:-( ).

--
Nick Kew

Re: svn commit: r154402 - in apr/apr-util/trunk: build.conf build/dbd.m4 configure.in include/apu.h.in

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> pquerna@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Author: pquerna
>> Date: Sat Feb 19 02:12:41 2005
>> New Revision: 154402

>> Log:
>> Hook the PostgreSQL DBD driver into autoconf.
>> The current code will not autodetect Postgres on all systems.
>

> Doesn't the DBD code expect the postgres dbd module to be built as a
> shared library and then loaded dynamically, rather than just linking it
> in to libaprutil?  It seems like there needs to be some Makefile.in
> magic to make that happen...

It can be staticly linked, or dynamically loaded. Either works fine, afaik.

-Paul