Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com> on 2016/02/12 11:34:49 UTC

DISCUSS - how to handle different projects setup

Now that we have a defacto discrepancy in project setup how are we going to
handle this?

Karaf container and all other submodules besides decanter have the
maven-bundle-plugin configuration in one place.
Is it planned to move to the same setup for all other projects too?
Are we planning on moving to bnd-tools too? As this is the logic
consequence?

Regards, Achim

sent from mobile device

Re: DISCUSS - how to handle different projects setup

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I personally would like to move all karaf projects to the extracted bnd
file scheme in the long run but I am in no hurry. I wanted to propose
the change with decanter as an example of how it looks like.

As karaf is much bigger than decanter it would be a lot of work to do
the change. It would also be easy to introduce errors while switching.
So I am not planning to do this any time soon. I will also make sure to
start a discuss up front and will only work on it if there is a consent
to do so.

Regarding bndtools I am waiting how their maven support improves over
time. I currently use bndtools just to edit the bnd files but I would
not care to not have it for this small task. In any case I do not plan
to do any changes that  would require to use bndtools even in mid to
long term as I know other are using intellij. In fact I think the
extraction of the bnd files is not really related to bndtools. Like Neil
wrote a bnd file is just plain text and our files are normally very small.

Regarding bnd files you really have to regard two very different cases.
In a real bndtools project  the bnd file contains all dependency
information including the compile time dependencies and test setup. This
is not suitable for maven builds and probably never will be.
In our case the bnd file only contains the configuration you normally do
in the maven-bundle-plugin config. This style works very well with maven
and is not really tied to bnddtools.

What I hope for is that bndtools at some point will be able to fully
work our maven setup. So you can use bndtools if you like and maybe have
nicely integrated debugging but we are not yet there and I think it will
take quite some time until it really makes sense to use bndtools for
karaf at all.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect
http://www.talend.com

Re: DISCUSS - how to handle different projects setup

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Achim,

for now, each project has its own setup.

So I guess you mean a parent pom shared by all projects ?

For now, we still use maven-bundle-plugin (with different configuration).

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré