Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Harrison Tarr <ha...@connexta.com> on 2017/03/02 17:29:45 UTC

Ping address wasn't reachable

Hello,

I’m trying to configure HA using Artemis on a Windows machine. My coworker was able to get the “network-check-list” to work with a simple list of IPs. We are using the same broker.xml. When I use it, I get an error in the log that says
“08:56:49,975 | WARN  | ca9-d991d17b6f42 | q.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck  206 | ogging.jboss-logging | Ping Address /192.30.252.153 wasn't reacheable”

The leading “/” in the IP seems suspicious to me. I have tried using the default ping command, as well as editing it to be just “ping.” I have also tried with a list or a single IP. I have also verified that the addresses are reachable from the machine, just the ping fails. Could there be some parsing error on Windows that is prepending a “/”?

Regards,

Harrison Tarr

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
It looks to me like it's just the way InetAddress.toString() works.

If there's a bug it may be in the use of java.net.InetAddress#getCanonicalHostName, but I'm no network expert.  If you turn TRACE logging on for org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.server.NetworkHealthCheck you'll see exactly what it's using when it prints:

  logger.trace("purePing on canonical address " + address.getCanonicalHostName());

Justin

It is possible to be a bug on windows...

Can you share your settings? I will take a look.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
> But I think my most pressing issue is that since the NetworkHealthCheck is
> failing, my servers are not coming up at all, even when they’re supposed to.
> I have tried to start my backup (without the ‘master’ node running) and the
> backup does not start Artemis, because it can’t ping any address.

There may or may not be a bug in the NetworkHealthCheck, but if none of the IPs listed are reachable then the server will not start.  That is exactly what the NetworkHealthCheck is supposed to do.

Justin

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Harrison Tarr
<ha...@connexta.com> wrote:
> I was able to get it to work by changing the ping command to “ping –n %d %s”. I’m not sure why it skips the Network.isReachable; the process seems to be running as an administrator anyway.

Now, should we make this the default on Windows?

I'm a bit confused as it seems I was using cygwin. Anyone can help me?

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

Posted by Harrison Tarr <ha...@connexta.com>.

    --
    Clebert Suconic

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Clebert Suconic

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org> wrote:
> The -c and -t command line switches for the "ping" command mean different things between Linux and Windows.

.... What the? :O

I had tested on Windows when I developed.. I'm not sure if maybe I had
cygwin and it worked because of that? :O

> On Windows -c is for "routing compartment identifier," but on Linux it's for "count."
>
> On Windows -t means "ping the specified host until stopped," but on Linux it means "ttl."

You may change the commands used for ping on the configurations.

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable

        --
        Clebert Suconic

Re: Ping address wasn't reachable