Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Babarali <ba...@objectcrafts.org> on 2003/03/18 20:51:38 UTC

MailRepository and their OutOfBox use

Using MailRepositories out of james box (such as web access to messages
by a webapp) must not be a new thing over here. Although I could not
find much on archives. So I shall appreciate if someone can give me a
link for any such previous discussion thread.

OR

Tell me what is best approach yet known for james2.1 other then cut N
paste.

Babara.

RE: MailRepository and their OutOfBox use

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Works best at the moment if you either use something that speaks POP3, or
use a JDBC repository.

	--- Noel

RE: MailRepository and their OutOfBox use

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Simplest suggestion is to use JDBC repositories for James, and access them from your webapp using JDBC.

I believe that the fact that this is possible is probably the main reason that James has never had to expose any other mechanism for accessing repositories from other apps.

You could cut'n'paste James repository code, but James maintains a lock on messages which you wouldn't have access to.
Its a long story but it has been kind-of decided that not serialising the lock status to make it persist, which makes locks all free if James dies, is better in operation than running the risk of deadlocked messages. If a locked message is removed James will throw an exception, but this is caught and handled so that nothing breaks, except possibly the routeing of the missing message.

Plans for v3 include support for common mail file formats, easing the pain of accessing James repositories from other apps.

d.