Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/03/26 20:11:48 UTC

Re: [merlin] 3.3 Release Schedule

Timothy Bennett wrote:

> With that in mind, what does the release schedule for 3.3 look like, so
> that I can hopefully plan the HTTP facility around that?

I've been thinking that it would be a good idea to get a 3.3 release out
based on current CVS HEAD.  Some documentation updates are needed - and
I would like to get some examples of facilities into the tutorials.

Main benefits of a release would be:

   (a) availability of constructor based injection
   (b) getting out the improvements to the property management
   (c) log4j support
   (d) trials with facilities

There are arguments for getting more work done on the composition model
and security is also a work in progress - but even so - my thoughts are
that a 3.3 release would be helpful.

Here is a shortlist of the things I see that would need to be done
before a release:

   (a) get in place complete documentation of the component
       contract and deployment contract (some new material
       required, some content that exists but is scattered)
   (b) get in place documentation of the dynamics tutorial
   (c) get in place a general facilities tutorial

Anyone see anything else we would/should include?

Cheers, Steve.

Re: [merlin] 3.3 Release Schedule

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

>>Main benefits of a release would be:
>>
>>   (a) availability of constructor based injection
>>   (b) getting out the improvements to the property management
>

> Could you elaborate on (b) a little.

Under 3.2.5 the bootstrap properties are split between avalon.properties
and merlin.properties (reflecting the repository system versus the
merlin system).  Under 3.3 the application context is supplied to the
repository InitialContext which enables consolidation of all properties
under a single merlin.properties group.

Cheers, Stephen.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.