Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by appi03 <ar...@sparta.com> on 2007/11/09 17:20:19 UTC

Maximize Throughput

Running the latest activemq release 4.1.1 and using the cms library.

I have a Linux Server set up that has 4 cpus where I am running my broker
and the producer. I was hoping to get a good performance out of it but
activemq only utilizes one cpu at a time. Does Activemq support multiple
Cpus? The producer I am running is straightforward and out of the box.

If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. I am wondering if
there is anything the cms library that I can utilize.

Re: Maximize Throughput

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 09/11/2007, appi03 <ar...@sparta.com> wrote:

> Running the latest activemq release 4.1.1 and using the cms library.
>
> I have a Linux Server set up that has 4 cpus where I am running my broker
> and the producer. I was hoping to get a good performance out of it but
> activemq only utilizes one cpu at a time. Does Activemq support multiple
> Cpus? The producer I am running is straightforward and out of the box.
>
> If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. I am wondering if
> there is anything the cms library that I can utilize.

ActiveMQ is highly concurrent; though to really power multiple cpus
you need to have lots of clients doing lots of concurrent sending and
consuming. Also note that out of the box ActiveMQ uses persistent
messaging - which from a single producer thread perspective spends
most of its time waiting for things to be written to disk which is
kinda hard to use up 4 CPUs until you have lots of producers.

--
James
-------

Open Source SOA