Posted to users@camel.apache.org by hxbx <hx...@gmx.de> on 2014/05/20 13:15:09 UTC

camel-example-docs does not work

I try to understood the concept of generate visual docs using the example
provided
with the camel sources (camel-example-docs).
Using camel 2.13.0, maven 3.2.1, java 1.7.0_55, GraphViz 2.28 in a Windows 7
environment.
GrapViz is available via the path variable.

The maven jobs described in the README.txt (mvn compile;  mvn camel:dot)
works without any
error.

But as result i got only a index.html file with the content:

"No EIP diagrams available".

But inside the file camel-context.xml are routes defined.

Is there any magic, which is not written inside the README.txt or works the
dot file generation
generally not?

Thanks

    hxbx

Re: camel-example-docs does not work

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
There is a JMX API that outputs the Camel routes in xml format.

There is a "dumpRoutesAsXml" on the camel context mbean.
This is what the karaf camel commands uses, and also what hawtio and
fuse ide etc uses to "visualize" running Camel apps.

The old dot code "kinda" did the same but they were using the route
definition (model) java class and did its own "dot" model.

But taking the xml output (which is like what you do when defining
routes in xml) is the cleanest. So its a matter of transforming that
xml into a dot format, or whatever format you can use to generate a
diagram.

For example we could make make a hawtio camel plugin that takes this
xml output and uses the hawtio logic to draw a diagram, which you can
then view in a browser, or have it maybe save to PNG files etc.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM, j00ris <j0...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Claus,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Is there a replacement for this deprecated functionality? E.g. another way
> to generate Graphviz diagrams about routes?
>
> --
> Joris Vanhoof

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com
hawtio: http://hawt.io/
fabric8: http://fabric8.io/

Re: camel-example-docs does not work

Posted by hxbx <hx...@gmx.de>.
thanks for the fast answer!

Re: camel-example-docs does not work

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

The dot generation and visualization maven tool is deprecated and to
be removed in a future Camel release. The code has neither been
maintained for many years.

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM, hxbx <hx...@gmx.de> wrote:
> I try to understood the concept of generate visual docs using the example
> provided
> with the camel sources (camel-example-docs).
> Using camel 2.13.0, maven 3.2.1, java 1.7.0_55, GraphViz 2.28 in a Windows 7
> environment.
> GrapViz is available via the path variable.
>
> The maven jobs described in the README.txt (mvn compile;  mvn camel:dot)
> works without any
> error.
>
> But as result i got only a index.html file with the content:
>
> "No EIP diagrams available".
>
> But inside the file camel-context.xml are routes defined.
>
> Is there any magic, which is not written inside the README.txt or works the
> dot file generation
> generally not?
>
> Thanks
>
>     hxbx