Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/17 18:51:35 UTC

Problems with RC1 and proposal on how to fix it

As Howard pointed out yesterday there are issues with the src release
(it contains extra junk.)  One of the problems is that particular
build was done using build.xml only and not the new bootstrap process.

I have made several improvements to build.xml that need to be commited
ASAP.  Matthias has requested my Apache account so I should be able to
commit soon.  In the meantime I have a detailed set of instructions
and a patch that need to be applied.  Can someone volunteer to do this
for me?  I will send this person the instructions directly once they
step forward.

I also propose that we do a RC2 a couple of days from now and that it
be built with the new build procedure.  The source should be tagged as
rel_1_0_9_rc2 and then the release should be built using the
bootstrap.xml which checks out of CVS (using the tag) and calls the
new release target on build.xml.

This is the same process as we will use for the nightlies except the
results go in a "release" directory instead of a "nightly" directory.
The nightly build will also checkout the latest from CVS instead of a
specific version.

I think we need to start following tighter procedures now that we are
a top level project.  Martin C. alluded to this a while ago when we
were discussing the nightly build.  The nightly builds and release
builds should follow nearly identical steps.  I'll need another day or
two before all of the build stuff is ready.  The faster I can get the
latest changes committed the sooner it will be ;-)

The only step we should skip for now is the scp to the server.  In the
interest of time we can skip that for now.  But the nightlies should
be up and running in a week or two and the next release should also
use the bootstrap script to publish release candidates and releases.

Sound good?

sean