Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com> on 2009/01/31 01:44:46 UTC

svn repo layout for modules

ok, I was just about to tag the connection pool, and realized, I'm not
setup to do it.

I would suggest

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/
  - site
  - tc6.0.x
  - trunk
  - modules              <-- ADD THIS
    - jdbc-pool
      - trunk
      - tags
      - branches
    - bayeux
      - trunk
      - tags
      - branches

and move it away and out of (and get rid of) the tomcat/modules folder,
and let tomcat be tomcat.

Filip

Re: svn repo layout for modules

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 5:14 AM, Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 17:44 -0700, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> > I would suggest
> >
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/
> >   - site
> >   - tc6.0.x
> >   - trunk
> >   - modules              <-- ADD THIS
> >     - jdbc-pool
> >       - trunk
> >       - tags
> >       - branches
> >     - bayeux
> >       - trunk
> >       - tags
> >       - branches
> >
> > and move it away and out of (and get rid of) the tomcat/modules folder,
> > and let tomcat be tomcat.
>
> My suggestion is to dump modules as much as possible, this is messy.
> JDBC should really be developed elsewhere beyond the experimental stage
> (Tomcat is not a DB project, thanks) and Bayeux should go to the main
> tree (if it works).

Good points.

Costin

Re: svn repo layout for modules

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
What we and user need, is a real plugin and tool contribution area.

+1 to start the modules plugin system to create more value of the
tomcat project

regards,
Peter

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 14:59 -0700, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> that discussion does exist if you look back into the archives
> what has changed since then?

The proposed module layout looks so-so to me, and apparently others feel
the same, so a solution is to remove the modules.

Rémy

Re: svn repo layout for modules

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 17:44 -0700, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
>
>> I would suggest
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/
>>   - site
>>   - tc6.0.x
>>   - trunk
>>   - modules              <-- ADD THIS
>>     - jdbc-pool
>>       - trunk
>>       - tags
>>       - branches
>>     - bayeux
>>       - trunk
>>       - tags
>>       - branches
>>
>> and move it away and out of (and get rid of) the tomcat/modules folder,
>> and let tomcat be tomcat.
>>

> My suggestion is to dump modules as much as possible, this is messy.
> JDBC should really be developed elsewhere beyond the experimental stage
> (Tomcat is not a DB project, thanks) and Bayeux should go to the main
> tree (if it works).

That is a contradictory statement. Tomcat is not a DB project, nor is it
a Bayeux project.
So the reasoning above doesn't make any sense if you look at it that way.

Tomcat is no longer the reference implementation either.

So there is nothing that prevents us from providing value add components
as long as we are willing to  maintain it.

ASF is community over code, its hard to grow the community if you never
add any code.
Tomcat JDBC would actually make TC 7 even more light weight since it is
smaller than DBCP.
Tomcat JDBC is not experimental either, its actually way more stable
than expected. Run it through let me know if you find any bugs.

So for modules, they are a good idea if we want to encourage people to
contribute to more areas.
as for the two modules, jdbc-pool and bayeux, I think they should still
be modules if we want to keep the core light and by being modules let us
fix bugs faster without releasing new versions of tomcat.

So from a code perspective you are right, from a community perspective
its not good at all to keep everything minimalistic.
Especially since you mentioned you wouldn't involve yourself in trunk,
then we are down by one resource. I would of course like for you to take
back that statement and rejoin in the efforts, despite differences, the
more is still the merrier

So I suggest to keep the modules here, mostly to encourage new
contributions to this project.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> that would work for me, then the tag name could differentiate the module
> itself

Sounds good. The connectors use a similar approach so you'd have
asf/tomcat/tags/JDBC_POOL_0_0_1 or whatever.

Mark

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.