Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Saptarshi Guha <sa...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/05 17:34:40 UTC

Map input records(on JobTracker website) increasing and decreasing

Hello,
When I check the job tracker web page, and look at the Map Input
records read,the map input records goes up to say 1.4MN and then drops
to 410K and then goes up again.
The same happens with input/output bytes and output records.

Why is this? Is there something wrong with the mapper code? In my map
function, i assume I have received one line of input.
The oscillatory behavior does not occur for tiny datasets, but for 1GB
of data (tiny for others) i see this happening.

Thank s
Saptarshi
--
Saptarshi Guha - saptarshi.guha@gmail.com

Re: Map input records(on JobTracker website) increasing and decreasing

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
Yeah, I've seen this too. I just filed HADOOP-4983.

-- Owen

Re: Map input records(on JobTracker website) increasing and decreasing

Posted by Todd Lipcon <tl...@gmail.com>.
I've also experienced this behavior on 0.19 and on older versions. I think
the same bug also causes counters to come and go completely on some tasks
that have a small number of map jobs and progress slowly.

I haven't had the chance to go hunting this down anywhere, but I can confirm
that it happens without any tasks dying.

-Todd

Posted by Saptarshi Guha <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>.