Posted to dev@tamaya.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2014/12/29 01:03:26 UTC

[DISCUSS] @Priority from commons-annotations-1.2

Hi!

Anatole and I are currently discussing whether it is worth it adding @Priority or not.

It would make a few interfaces more elegant but this also has one downside. This version of JSR-250 is not yet in JavaSE by default. Of course it is needed for all JavaEE7++ servers.

The question now is whether we can burden our users to add commons-annotation-1.2 in SE?

LieGrue,
strub

Re: [DISCUSS] @Priority from commons-annotations-1.2

Posted by Anatole Tresch <at...@gmail.com>.
Don't mix up
*​​@Priority* with the ordinal() method on
*​​​​PropertySource*. For property sources I think the method is the better
solution, since it can dynamically assigned, e.g. based on the file's
content. For more complex cases you also have the
*​​PropertySourceProvider*, which can register multiple
*​*
*​PropertySource​ ​*instances. As a more complex examples see at the
following config file:

<config>
  <defaults>

​ ​
 <a.b.c.value>MyValue</a.b.cValue>

​ ​
</defaults>
​  ​
<domainOverrides>

​ ​
 <myArea>

​ ​
 <myValue1>123</myValue1>

​  ​
<myValue2>3434.56</myValue2>

​  ​
</myArea>

​  ​
<server>

​  ​
<ip>1.2.3.4</ip>

​   ​
<overrides>

​   ​
<
​​
a.b.c.value>anotherMyValue</a.b.c.value>

​    ​
</overrides>
​    ​
</server>
​
  </domainOverrides>​
</config>

​Such a file cannot be mapped to a single
*​PropertySource*, since it contains entries with differing priorites in
the same file (note: this is not a hypothetic example, I've seeen such
solutions multiple times). In that case we would implement a
*​PropertySourceProvider *that parses the file, sorts the different entries
into corresponding collections​ and then returns a PropertySource for each
non empty list of entries. Such cases only can be solved by custom
implementations, but good news: this is the top of complexity in the basic
overriding area (e.g. Credit Suisse config, which is one of the most
complex I've seen so far, fits into this system quite well).
Nevertheless we can still support file paths etc, A file path then will
resolve to at least one PropertySource per file resolved, or even (as shown
above) to multiple property sources per file. In a big application like
Credit Suisse has, you will end up likely with 200 property sources at the
end. But this is not bad per se. For example we can access all property
sources a system consumes (also the ones with overriden entries) and that
way have a real traceability of what is happening (a very important aspect).

The @Priority is more meant for priorizing other registered services, for
example adapters, expressions resolvers etc.

-Anatole

Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> schrieb am Mon Dec 29 2014 at
14:59:16:

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
You may consider it "optional" if it's not used by mandatory core
components.
That's pretty much done with @Inject except EE/CDI baked it into the very
foundation, so it's pretty mandatory there.

Newer JSRs like 361 or 363 declare optionality even on a package/bundle
level, but so far the older ones mean you use 1 annotation, you take the
whole JAR. Which is tiny, so I'd rather reuse it than reinvent the wheel;-)

Werner

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
there is no issue using EE or SE. Only constraint is to be able to get
rid of it in EE (ie dont put it in tamaya-core if anyone had a doubt
;)). About javax private package I'm not sure (actually sure of the
oppposite). If we use only this annotation we can do a jar with it
only if jsr250 jar is an issue cause bringing too much classes -
thought it was the point, if not just ignore it.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.