Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by harvey waters <ha...@googlemail.com> on 2007/10/31 09:38:21 UTC

Selecting a load testing tool

I need to performance test my java content management platform. Its got a
soap service (XFire) layer so I thought I would create the tests around this
layer. I've narrowed my tool selection down to JMeter and SoapUI.

SoapUI seems very good at building SOAP requests, I have a lot of binary
files that are inlined in the SOAP requests. However it uses the groovy
scripting language and I don't really want to learn a new language just to
be able to use the testing tool.

I've spent a couple of the days looking at JMeter and still don't really
know if its able to do what I need, so here goes.

1) Am I right in saying that I can use parameters to feed the results of one
soap request into a second request ?

2) Can I create SOAP requests where the binary is inlined (these could end
up being very large) in the future I was going to be looking at MOTM ?

3) Is there a feature list comparison for JMeter and SOAPUI does anyone have
any experience of comparing these two and would they like to share there
findings?

Many Thanks

Harvey

Re: Selecting a load testing tool

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
In 31/10/2007, harvey waters <ha...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I need to performance test my java content management platform. Its got a
> soap service (XFire) layer so I thought I would create the tests around this
> layer. I've narrowed my tool selection down to JMeter and SoapUI.
>
> SoapUI seems very good at building SOAP requests, I have a lot of binary
> files that are inlined in the SOAP requests. However it uses the groovy
> scripting language and I don't really want to learn a new language just to
> be able to use the testing tool.
>
> I've spent a couple of the days looking at JMeter and still don't really
> know if its able to do what I need, so here goes.
>
> 1) Am I right in saying that I can use parameters to feed the results of one
> soap request into a second request ?

Depends.

You can use the Extractor Post-Processors to extract information from
a response and store it in a variable.

The variable can then be used in Soap request GUIs, but not in files.

> 2) Can I create SOAP requests where the binary is inlined (these could end
> up being very large) in the future I was going to be looking at MOTM ?

You can put whatever you like in a file that is submitted as a Soap request.

It's not advisable to have very large or binary content provided as
part of the GUI.

Posted by omatzura <ol...@eviware.com>.
Hi Harvey

Ole from the soapUI team here.. biased response follows :-)

There is a soapUI / JMeter comparison on our site at
http://www.soapui.org/userguide/loadtest/comparison.html, generally speaking
JMeter is much better at Load testing while soapUI is much better at testing
web services.. you'll have to weigh them against eachother in this regard or
just use both.. Regarding your specific questions about transfer of values
and inlining of binary data both of these should be possible in soapUI
without any groovy programming.. (depends on your specific setup of
course).. don't hesitate to contact me directly if you need some more info..

Good Luck!

regards,

/Ole
eviware.com