Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Victor Stone <fo...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/28 22:12:00 UTC

Stumped on switch relocate

Using 1.4.3 I'm getting the dreaded "Relocate can only change the
repository part of an URL" when doing switch --relocate

I've looked through the source and found this error message exactly
once in libsvn_wc/relocate.c and can't figure what it could be.

I have no extra path information (which would be stripped off in the
function mentioned above anyway) and I've verified that my 'from' URL
is the exact same URL as that in .svn/entries file. I'm assuming it's
failing right at the root because it's entries file is not being
re-written.

One special note: before I tried doing this at the root I cd'd into a
leaf node of the project and performed the 'relocate' command there
and it worked (!) which gave me confidence to try it at the root,
where I started getting the error. I have since tried it in another
leaf node and it failed again.

Re: Stumped on switch relocate

Posted by Victor Stone <fo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Wayne <wa...@zk.com> wrote:
>  Just a stab in the dark but could this have something to do with the
>  fact that both repositories have the same UUID?

My understanding is that they are supposed to, and I think the code is
failing before that's even checked.

Re: Stumped on switch relocate

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 28, 2008, at 18:23, Wayne wrote:

> Just a stab in the dark but could this have something to do with
> the fact that both repositories have the same UUID?

If you're going to move a repository from one location to another,
its UUID had better not change. svn switch --relocate requires the
old and new repository UUID to be the same.

Re: Stumped on switch relocate

Posted by Wayne <wa...@zk.com>.

Posted by Victor Stone <fo...@gmail.com>.
<su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

>  What is the old and new URL of the repository?

OLD: https://cctools.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cctools
NEW: http://code.creativecommons.org/svnroot

>  What does "svn info" show in the working copy?
Repository Root: https://cctools.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/cctools
Repository UUID: aec4f576-4910-0410-beeb-ecb0427469e7
Revision: 8965
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: fourstones
Last Changed Rev: 8962
Last Changed Date: 2008-02-11 14:18:18 -0800 (Mon, 11 Feb 2008)

The svn info for the leaf that worked:
Repository Root: http://code.creativecommons.org/svnroot
Repository UUID: aec4f576-4910-0410-beeb-ecb0427469e7
Revision: 9495
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: fourstones
Last Changed Rev: 9495
Last Changed Date: 2008-03-26 10:52:41 -0700 (Wed, 26 Mar 2008)

>  Can you reproduce this problem in a clean environment?

I have not tried this and would take a bit to set it up, but obviously
happy to if it comes to that.

Re: Stumped on switch relocate

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 28, 2008, at 17:12, Victor Stone wrote:

> Using 1.4.3 I'm getting the dreaded "Relocate can only change the
> repository part of an URL" when doing switch --relocate
>
> I've looked through the source and found this error message exactly
> once in libsvn_wc/relocate.c and can't figure what it could be.
>
> I have no extra path information (which would be stripped off in the
> function mentioned above anyway) and I've verified that my 'from' URL
> is the exact same URL as that in .svn/entries file. I'm assuming it's
> failing right at the root because it's entries file is not being
> re-written.
>
> One special note: before I tried doing this at the root I cd'd into a
> leaf node of the project and performed the 'relocate' command there
> and it worked (!) which gave me confidence to try it at the root,
> where I started getting the error. I have since tried it in another
> leaf node and it failed again.

Please give us more information:

What is the old and new URL of the repository?

What does "svn info" show in the working copy?

Can you reproduce this problem in a clean environment? If so, can you
give us a reproduction recipe for this issue (beginning with creating
the empty repository)?

Re: Stumped on switch relocate

Posted by Victor Stone <fo...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Harvey, Edward <Ed...@patni.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that if you relocate a subdirectory, and then try to relocate its parent, you'll have a problem as described.
>  I suggest:  Move the already-relocated subfolder out of the parent folder.  And then try the relocation again on the parent folder.

Edward, thanks for the suggestion.

I did an svn stat and noticed that about half the directories had an
'S' next to them - seems the switch I attempted at the root started
but aborted halfway through the project. After I moved all those away
from the root the switch --relocate worked fine at the root; moved the
'offending' dirs back and voila, all done.

Perhaps an internal dry run is in order so this doesn't happen (or at
least doc the side effects of starting with a leaf).

Thanks a ton.

RE: Stumped on switch relocate

Posted by "Harvey, Edward" <Ed...@patni.com>.
I'm pretty sure that if you relocate a subdirectory, and then try to relocate its parent, you'll have a problem as described.  The same is true if any subfolder can't be accessed for some reason.  At least, this has been my experience, having done several relocations recently.

I suggest:  Move the already-relocated subfolder out of the parent folder.  And then try the relocation again on the parent folder.

If you're still stuck, do a svn status on the parent, and move anything that's locally modified out.  After the relocation, you should do an update, and move the local changes back in again.

Before I move a repository, I always give users some warning, and tell them to all do their updates & commits.  This really helps to minimize the problems afterward.

This e-mail message may contain proprietary, confidential or legally privileged information for the sole use of the person or entity to whom this message was originally addressed. Any review, e-transmission dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error kindly delete  this e-mail from your records. If it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, please notify us immediately at netadmin@patni.com and delete this mail.