Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com> on 2004/07/28 21:37:50 UTC

Instrument status. (update)

Ok, the full Instrument restructure has been completed.

First the change in jar names, I think these reflect what they are a
little more accurately.
excalibur-instrument.jar -> excalibur-instrument-api.jar
excalibur-instrument-spi.jar -> excalibur-instrument-mgr-api.jar
excalibur-instrument-impl.jar -> excalibur-instrument-mgr-impl.jar
excalibur-instrument-http.jar -> excalibur-instrument-mgr-http.jar
excalibur-instrument-client.jar as is.
excalibur-instrument-altrmi.jar is gone.

The contents of excalibur-instrument-api.jar are unchanged. but the
other jars have all been
completely reworked.

The contents of the mgr-api jar are now in the
org.apache.excalibur.instrument.manager
package rather than the old
org.apache.excalibur.instrument.manager.interfaces.
Several interfaces from the impl jar were also moved into this package.

The contents of the mgr-impl jar are now in
org.apache.excalibur.instrument.manager.impl
This makes a lot more sense.

The only change that Fortress and ECM had to deal with is the change from
org.apache.excalibur.instrument.manager.DefaultInstrumentManager
org.apache.excalibur.instrument.manager.impl.DefaultInstrumentManagerImpl

This means that users will need to upgrade the instrument jars at the
same time
that they upgrade Fortress.  Should be Ok as we already have the same issue
with the move from Excalibur to D-Haven Event.

I have gotten everything in Excalibur building and working again.  But
this is
going to affect other containers which handle Instrumentation.   Stephen had
approached me about Instrumentation in Merlin at one point, but not sure if
it was ever implemented.

There have also been at least a couple users which have approached me about
using the old SPI classes.   Those users are going to need to make a few
changes
to get up and working with this new version.  They are mainly package
renaming
issues, so it shouldn't be too bad for them.

Let me know if you see any problems with the new directory structure.
At this
unless I discover any bugs, I am pretty much done with coding.  Now for the
fun part... The documentation.

Peter Donald wrote:

>Leif Mortenson wrote:
>

>>Once that is done I am going to reorganize the manager interfaces. They were
>>designed heavily around altrmi and I can make them a lot cleaner and
>>easier to
>>understand. (There will be no changes to the instrument base classes). I
>>know that there are at least a few users who are using these interfaces. The
>>way I am planning on reworking things it should be easy for them to upgrade,
>>but it will require a little bit of changes to code. Any objections?
>>

>go for it!

>>think it
>>will be good to do long term. This will go along with the 2.0 version so
>>API changes should be OK there as well.
>>

>sounds interesting. Whats on the books for 2.0?

That should have been 1.2.  Mainly cleaning things up and documenting it
so that people
can actually start using it. :-)

Cheers,
Leif

Re: Instrument status. (update)

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Monday 02 August 2004 21:23, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>>> have gotten everything in Excalibur building and working again.
>>>But this is going to affect other containers which handle
>>>Instrumentation.   Stephen had approached me about Instrumentation in
>>>Merlin at one point, but not sure if it was ever implemented.
>>>

>>I dunno, but I do know merlin has no dependency on any excalibur materials.
>>

>That is correct. At some point, we will probably investigate the cross-section
>between instrumentation package here and what we would like to equip Merlin
>with.
>I suspect(!) that it is possible to allow instrumentation (or some parts of
>it) in a more 'transparent manner', i.e. components doesn't need to know they
>are instrumented, than is possible with Excalibur/Fortress. But that is a
>suspicion only :o)

Currently Fortress pretty much just helps register components which
expose their own
Instruments.   The old ECM container did much more instrumentation
wise.  The
container itself made use of fully instrumented handlers so you could
track the number
of pooled components, as well as lookups and releases, etc.  At some
point we may
want to get some of that into Fortress as well.  It can be very useful
for applications
which do lots of lookups and releases as the app runs.

While it is a good goal to instrument as much as possible via the
container, there is also
a lot about components which can only be handled by the component
itself.   Remember
that unlike logging, the instrument API allows you to write components
which support
instrumentation and be able to use them in containers which do not.   So
as long as
everything else is compatible, an instrumented Fortress component should
be able to be
used in Merlin or elsewhere.   You would just need to include the tiny
little instrument-api
jar.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 02 August 2004 21:23, Leo Simons wrote:

> > I have gotten everything in Excalibur building and working again.
> > But this is going to affect other containers which handle
> > Instrumentation.   Stephen had approached me about Instrumentation in
> > Merlin at one point, but not sure if it was ever implemented.
>
> I dunno, but I do know merlin has no dependency on any excalibur materials.

That is correct. At some point, we will probably investigate the cross-section
between instrumentation package here and what we would like to equip Merlin
with.
I suspect(!) that it is possible to allow instrumentation (or some parts of
it) in a more 'transparent manner', i.e. components doesn't need to know they
are instrumented, than is possible with Excalibur/Fortress. But that is a
suspicion only :o)

Unfortunately, there are many things we want to do on Merlin, and hands are
not enough, so I guess it will take a while before we get around to it.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Instrument status. (update)

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> Ok, the full Instrument restructure has been completed.

kudos to you dude! Looking forward to playing with it and reading those
docs :-D

> This means that users will need to upgrade the instrument jars at the
>  same time that they upgrade Fortress.  Should be Ok

+1.

> I have gotten everything in Excalibur building and working again.
> But this is going to affect other containers which handle
> Instrumentation.   Stephen had approached me about Instrumentation in
> Merlin at one point, but not sure if it was ever implemented.

I dunno, but I do know merlin has no dependency on any excalibur materials.

cheers,

- LSD