Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org> on 2021/09/24 08:39:15 UTC

Release Team for 12.6?

Hi all,

Who'd like to volunteer to join Neil and me on the release team for 12.6?

What you'll be doing -- verifying issues, trying out builds, giving
feedback, being the go-to people around the time of the release, coming up
in the next month or two, help identify the important bugs to be fixed, etc.

Not all of these will be done by anyone, just a few of these, those that
you're most comfortable with and can fit into your schedule.

Especially if you tend to find problems with NetBeans right after a
release, this is your opportunity to find them in a time period when they
can be fixed.

Please speak up and volunteer by replying to this invitation!

Gj

RE: Release Team for 12.6?

Re: Release Team for 12.6?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 24 Sept 2021 at 14:53, Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 9/24/21 03:39, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> > Who'd like to volunteer to join Neil and me on the release team for 12.6?

Me!  Although I seem to have been volunteered already. :-)

> > What you'll be doing -- verifying issues, trying out builds, giving
> > feedback, being the go-to people around the time of the release, coming up
> > in the next month or two, help identify the important bugs to be fixed, etc.
>
> Sounds like NetCAT :)

Agreed!  Some of those are not what my original release team idea was
about.  Which was to replace the single release manager per release
with a small group of people who share those jobs, and work (to
varying amounts) across all releases.  ie. no one single contact, no
trying to find an RM for the next release, etc.

At the moment, that would mean that the release team is probably
limited to PMC members.  Theoretically ASF projects can allow
committers to be release managers, but we're not set up for that at
the moment.

Other than managing the release tasks, and turning the go-to person
into go-to people, I'd be wary of making it seem like the rest of
those things are specific to the release team.  In my opinion,
everything else listed is the common responsibility of everyone on
this list!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Release Team for 12.6?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
People will assign tasks to themselves.

The point is for this to be lightweight and with a small group of
volunteers who want to try things out, give quick feedback on fixes and
features, etc.

Join in, Glenn. :-)

Gj

Re: Release Team for 12.6?

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release Team for 12.6?

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.

Re: Release Team for 12.6?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 26 Sept 2021 at 17:39, Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For example, this could be an opportunity for the Netbean community to vote
> on tickets they feel should be considered to work (if no PRs yet) or vote
> on those with PRs.

Personally, I think that sounds great.  If people outside of the
release team, and in the wider NetBeans community, can make that
happen, all the better!  It's why I think any release team should be
focused purely on doing what release managers have been doing.  It's
similar to why I pushed back on the suggestion that release managers
"decide" what goes into any release in the past.

This is worth a read -
https://infra.apache.org/release-publishing.html#releasemanager  I
think it's become difficult to sustain with just a single, different,
person each time.  But I also think sticking to the idea of
"shepherding" the release process is important.

I have only a couple of times used the words "herding cats" :-)

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: Release Team for 12.6?

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
As I am not a PMD member, contributor, or release experience yet I don't
feel eligible to volunteer but....

I did want to point to the JIRA vs GitHub discussion thread [1] for
suggestions on change control / JIRA triage / release planning related
activities which may help going forward in the coming release (i.e. which
tickets may have PRs, higher priorities, higher votes, etc.),

For example, this could be an opportunity for the Netbean community to vote
on tickets they feel should be considered to work (if no PRs yet) or vote
on those with PRs.

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

[1]