Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/10 12:36:09 UTC

Rename JSONRPC binding to AJAX binding?

I've been thinking about renaming the JSONRPC binding to AJAX binding. I did
originally call it an AJAX binding but renamed it to JSONRPC as that was the
only thing it supported. Now I'm looking at adding more functionality, such
as support for Dojo clients, HTTP streaming (as discussed on the  jsonrpc
thread a while ago), maybe support for other AJAX client tool kits like DWR
or Kabuki, so JSON-RPC doesn't seem so appropriate. What do you think, or
are there any  alternative name suggestions?

   ...ant

Re: Rename JSONRPC binding to AJAX binding?

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> I've been thinking about renaming the JSONRPC binding to AJAX binding. I did
> originally call it an AJAX binding but renamed it to JSONRPC as that was the
> only thing it supported. Now I'm looking at adding more functionality, such
> as support for Dojo clients, HTTP streaming (as discussed on the  jsonrpc
> thread a while ago), maybe support for other AJAX client tool kits like DWR
> or Kabuki, so JSON-RPC doesn't seem so appropriate. What do you think, or
> are there any  alternative name suggestions?
>
>    ...ant

I guess it depends on what these additional functions are and how you
want to expose them to the application developer.

I think that there are probably two independent questions:

1) What should the SCDL for the binding look like?
If the various binding configurations look very different from each
other then you may want to have different bindings. On the other hand,
if you can define a common set of configuration options that apply to
all of them, then it should be more like the Web service binding, a
single binding but different implementations of it over different
toolkits. I think it would be great if we could define such a generic
<binding.ajax/> exposing a common set of configuration options. Could
you send us examples of your <binding.ajax/> with the various options
you're thinking about?

2) How many projects do you want to have for the various implementations
of the ajax binding and how do you want to name them? If you don't want
to drag all the dependencies from one project, I guess you'll want
different projects and then it would make sense to name them
binding.jsonrpcjava, binding.dwr, binding.kabuki etc.

Does that make sense?

--
Jean-Sebastien