Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by "Mankovskii, Serge" <Se...@ca.com> on 2008/11/07 21:54:16 UTC

POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

Hi Davanum,

In our search for a Champion and Sponsor for the Poloka proposal
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/PolokaProposal We looked into the
Savan, ServiceMix, Axis2, and MUSE projects.

We find that it makes most sense, so far, to have Poloka as a project
under Axis2. It also makes sense to go into the ServiceMix, that
implements WS-Notification already, but objectives of ServiceMix and
POLOKA are somewhat different in respect to POLOKA goal to provide a
stand-alone reference implementation of the spec. Bringing entire
ServiceMix in the picture might be too much. However ServiceMix could
benefit from the POLOKA work in the future.

Poloka (http://poloka.org) could create an Axis2 module implementing
handlers creating a messaging network for a federation of Axis2 servers.
This way we would be able to support

-       Standalone WS-Notification compliant notification producer and
notification consumer

-       Standalone WS-BrokeredNotification broker

-       Federation of WS-BrokeredNotification brokers.

It would make sense to integrate Savan functionality within Poloka as
time goes but not other way around. I think so because Poloka objective
is broader than Savan objective in respect to:

      - Broker support

Broker support is defined in WS-Notification and not in WS-Eventing.
Although it is possible that once a broker with WS-Eventing interface is
created, the picture might change.

      - Subscription

WS-Eventing defines subscription language based on XPath (content-based
semantic). WS-Notification defines subscription Filers using Topic
Dialects (topic-based semantic), XPath over message content
(content-based semantic, same as in WS-Eventing), and resource
properties (optional and unclear semantics, needs refinement in the
spec).

-       Matching performance

It seems that we can improve performance of XPath matching based on the
research done by the PADRES http://research.msrg.utoronto.ca/pub/Padres
project. It would be equally applicable to WS-Notification and
WS-Eventing. Naweed Tajuddin, a Master student of Prof. Arno Jacobsen,
is looking specifically into this issue for his master thesis.

What do you think?

We are looking for the input and guidance of the Apache community in
moving the POLOKA proposal forward. Please help!

Regards

Serge

RE: POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

Posted by "Mankovskii, Serge" <Se...@ca.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,

I think there is a lot of synergy between open source community and
university community. It is an interesting discussion to have. I am
talking to Ontario agencies responsible for innovation in the province
on that. We are thinking about a framework that would help to foster
university/open source connection and help it grow.

Thank you fro the offer to mentor the project. In respect to a Champion,
I will follow in both directions. I will post the request in the
private@ws.apache.org and also will try to request Incubator PMC to
Champion the project. I am not sure how to request the PMC though.

Cheers
Serge

Sorry to not have recognized the name .. small world eh? :-).

OK now I understand the project - I've been long advocating universities

to participate in open source as I see universities as our research
division! That's the way we can beat any corporate research division
;-).

Posted by "Mankovskii, Serge" <Se...@ca.com>.
Hello Sanjiva

Following your suggestion I have sent a request to champion the POLOKA
project to private@ws.apache.org and pmc@incubator.apache.org

I am not sure what the next step will be because, obviously, I cannot
subscribe to the private lists.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Serge,

Sorry to not have recognized the name .. small world eh? :-).

OK now I understand the project - I've been long advocating universities
to participate in open source as I see universities as our research
division! That's the way we can beat any corporate research division ;-).

I'm happy to mentor it and champion it. However, let me try to find
another champion though just because of practical time issues ..

In terms of sponsor- if you want the WS PMC to sponsor it then you need to

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Serge,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Serge,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Serge,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Thank you!

http://blogs.deepal.org

Re: POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Thank you!

http://blogs.deepal.org

Re: POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Thank you!

http://blogs.deepal.org

Re: POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Serge,

Posted by "Mankovskii, Serge" <Se...@ca.com>.
Hello Guillaume

Yes, this is the idea.  Naweed is studying ServiceMix right now with
objective to figure out appropriate way to work WS-BN engine into the
ServiceMix architecture. I think Naweed is writing an overview of how
that can be accomplished. He is planning to post his findings shortly.

I think your suggestion about TLP is right, but first we need to get
into the Incubation. We are looking forward to the voting. Exciting
stuff!

Thank you for the offer to mentor the project! Looking forward to it!

Cheers,
Serge

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

RE: POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: POLOKA proposal in context of existing Apache projects

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Serge,

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Serge,